What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EXPERIMENTAL legend on wing

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I am thinking about putting the required experimental letter just in front of the wing walk material. I think it meets the requirement called out. not having purchased the wing walk material, I am not sure how much room there is in front of it.
I really don't want to put it on the doors upside down, the baggage bulkhead would not be a bad place as an alternative.

Any comments?

Anywhere it is obvious to a person entering the aircraft is fine.
Just be sure the size is correct. It must be at least 2" and not more than 6" in height.

Thanks Mel! I was trying to clean up the way the interior looked. I spent a lot of time on the inside of the doors, and I did not like the idea of the baggage bulkhead because it really is not in clear view until the passenger is in the plane. It seems there should be at least 2" available at the top of the wing walk material non-skid..

Interesting. I always thought there was a font requirement beyond the 2" minimum and 6" maximum.

However; I just read a bit more detail and it sounds like the registration number has a requirement for Roman font, but the words Experimental doesn't have any font requirement. The only requirement is that all of the letters of the font (whatever you choose) is between 2" and 6" in height.

Also, it sounds like the requirement only calls for visibility at the entrances OR visible from the cabin. So that means you can put it on the baggage bulkhead only and be legal.

Are those right Mel?

Phil

Last edited:
45.23(b) When marks include only the letter "N" and the registration number is displayed on limited, restricted or light-sport category aircraft or experimental or provisionally certificated aircraft, the operator must also display on that aircraft near each entrance to the cabin, cockpit, or pilot station, in letters not less than 2" nor more than 6" high, the words "limited", "light-sport", "experimental", or "provisional", as applicable.

"Near each entrance" has been interpreted by the FAA as "obvious to anyone entering the cabin, cockpit or pilot station."

Last edited:
2 questions

Is the experimental placard required for single seat aircraft? (rv-3)

And since there is no font requirement, could I put experi and then "mental" italicized?
Thanks!

Is the experimental placard required for single seat aircraft? (rv-3)

And since there is no font requirement, could I put experi and then "mental" italicized?
Thanks!

You can put an "X" after the "N" on the side of the fusealge (ie"NX") and then you don't need the "Experimental" placard at all!

As I recall, single-place aircraft still need the placard. It's not a passenger warning thing; it's to notify even pilots the experimental nature of the aircraft, in case they weren't already aware.

You can put an "X" after the "N" on the side of the fuselage (ie"NX") and then you don't need the "Experimental" placard at all!

This only applies to an aircraft or a replica of an aircraft that originally flew at least 30 years ago. ref 45.22(b). The RV-3 and RV-4 DO meet this requirement.

Last edited:
Experimental on flap

On my RV-8 I would like to put the "EXPERIMENTAL" on the leading edge of the flap so it is visible with the flaps extended as you would have them while entering the aircraft. When you retract the flaps it tucks away under the wing skin. I have a placard in the cockpit that states " Flaps must be extended prior to entering or exiting the aircraft". Would this be acceptable? I would have it on both flaps since you can enter from either side.

Most inspectors that I know will accept this method of displaying the EXPERIMENTAL placard.
Check with your inspector to be sure.

Clarification please

Mel,

I have an RV4 under construction. I have applied for and received an N number reservation. If my RV4 is eligible for the NX designation, do I have to change the number with the FAA?

Mel,
I have an RV4 under construction. I have applied for and received an N number reservation. If my RV4 is eligible for the NX designation, do I have to change the number with the FAA?

When NX1234 is used in instead of the experimental placard, the "X" does not show up on the registration or any paperwork and is not used in any communications. The "X" simply replaces the experimental placard on the aircraft.

Thirty Years...Hmmm

This only applies to an aircraft or a replica of an aircraft that originally flew at least 30 years ago. ref 45.22(b). The RV-3 and RV-4 DO meet this requirement.

If I don't hurry up and finish my RV-7, my airplane may qualify for the "NX" number. :eek:

You can put an "X" after the "N" on the side of the fusealge (ie"NX") and then you don't need the "Experimental" placard at all!

I would be willing to bet that anyone getting into an airplane and not knowing that was an EXPERIMENTAL, would not have a clue what the X in the N number meant.

And 1" letters would be that much harder to read than 2" letters at the entrance of a small experimental aircraft?

On my RV-8 I would like to put the "EXPERIMENTAL" on the leading edge of the flap so it is visible with the flaps extended as you would have them while entering the aircraft. When you retract the flaps it tucks away under the wing skin. I have a placard in the cockpit that states " Flaps must be extended prior to entering or exiting the aircraft". Would this be acceptable? I would have it on both flaps since you can enter from either side.

There may not be enough exposure for the letters to be covered when the flaps are up. I think that is what stopped me from placing the decal under the clear.

And 1" letters would be that much harder to read than 2" letters at the entrance of a small experimental aircraft?

"N" numbers on these aircraft must be at least 2" in height.
ref 45.22(b)

Back