What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhausting thoughts (exhaust problems)

jay.pearlman

Well Known Member
I mounted a vetterman exhaust for the first time yesterday on an IO-360M1B. It fit well except for two challenges (maybe three) which I hope someone has creative solutions for. I attach a picture.
1. The crossover on the exhaust hits the throttle cable for the front horizontal injector.
2. The two exhaust pipes where they crossover rub against each other (hmmmm!)
3. The natural position for the heat muff where most have been putting it has fittings for the pipe connections and the ball joint is close.
Love the exhaust, just need some help on the three issues.

xm3b4h.jpg

Picture posted at http://i52.tinypic.com/xm3b4h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have exactly the same engine/injector/intake setup as you do.

1. In my installation, the throttle cable didn't originally touch the crossover...but it was close. I remounted the bracket that holds the throttle cable either upside down or backwards to get a better fit...I think I had to modify the bracket slightly...but this worked well and gave better alignment from firewall to throtle body attach point as well. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it
2. My exhausts did not touch at any point.
3. I put the heat muff on the exhaust of the number 1 cyclinder.

I've got some pictures of the overall exhaust installation that I could email if you like.

Bob Cowan
RV7A with Mattituck IO-360 M1B
160 hrs flying

Call Larry

Have you tried calling Larry Vetterman yet?
He is very helpfull. a bit long winded at times:) But a great guy and always VERY helpful with install problems.
Nordo

exhaust update

I talked with Larry Vetterman, then Rick Robbins and then Vans. All were very helpful. I am implementing an approach and should have some photos shortly. Basically, when tightened, the crossing exhausts do not touch or interfere. Larry's engineering is first class and he quickly identified the issue.
The throttle cable mount cannot be made according to Van's plans but needs to be modified for the IO360M1B by moving it upward and outward. It will still need a heat shield. Both Larry and Scott (at Vans) headed toward the same solution. I noted from the response of a couple of builders that they found the same issue and the same solution. More details coming soon. Need to check it first.
For the IO 360M1B with horizontal injection, the heat muff goes on the exhaust of the number one cylinder (only) and there is enough straight run to fit an 8" muff and perhaps a 9". I chose an 8" after making measurements and leaving a little fudge room. Rick Robbins of Robbins Wings said that it is better to have the intake air for the muff coming from the rear of the engine so it has some preheating over the cylinders on cold days. I put together an approach and will be installing it shortly. May still be a bit cool in the middle of winter. More details soon when I have finished the installation.
Thanks to the people who sent me photos.
Larry and Rick have gone out of their way to help and I recommend them and their products.

Last edited:
Back