What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust valve color - concerning?

tass

I've read some mixed info on this, but after bore scoping cylinder 3 the other day it looks white. The picture I got wasn't great (I was having some trouble maneuvering, and the iPhone app for this scope really sucks) but can go back for more:

1717648087280.jpeg

Compression was good, 78/80.

Is the color something I should be concerned about? Is it possible I'm just not taking great photos?

Which cylinder? White with yellow looks like it is smaller in circumference , which I believe would be your intake valve. Either way, I don’t see anything alarming. Yeah all scopes aren’t equal. It takes some practice.

Looks like rust on the top of the chamber .. what's the status of the engine? Flown regularly? in storage?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

It's flown fairly regularly, I try for once a week or more but there's been very occasional periods of 4 weeks or so of no flying if I'm away. The top of the chamber doesn't look too different from previous photos. Before that, it was done by someone with a different borescope and the colors don't match up.

I read that white valves can mean they were exposed to high heat and may fail, and because I try to run lean I was concerned I might have damaged something. CHTs don't run very high though - around mid 300s.

I'll do another practice with the borescope with something other than my iPhone and keep flying.

An iPad or a laptop has a larger image and will help you see better when you're maneuvering the borescope around.

Here's some good gouge from the AOPA Air Safety Institute:

Attachments

• Anatomy of Valve Failure.pdf
    231.1 KB · Views: 22
Back