What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust system problems with Decalin or TCP

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
If you have any experience with this please tell me. I understand that using these additives with 100LL can cause the exhaust system to be "welded" on the inside with residue of the lead and the additives in about 400 hours thus causing the exhaust system to be unusable. Do you know about that?

I will have to use 100LL at least 50% of the time so I need to understand the risks.

Thanks,
EBB

I've used TCP religiously in my O-320's for 25+ yrs and it's great for keeping plugs from building "clinkers". Yes, there are some minor deposits inside the pipes, but so what, it's better than on valves, pistons, plugs.

I've also found that TCP has been critical in keeping that brass fuel selector valve from Van's from getting stiff.

As far as using in a Rotax... I can't speak to that.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any issues with the Decalin. Lead is going to blow out the exhaust no matter what and will get on anything I it's way. At least Decalin will help keep some of it out of the engine. To overhaul the Rotax is $12K an exhaust is far cheaper. When using leaded fuel unfortunately something gets sacrificed.

Back