What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust support

Plummit

Well Known Member
Exhaust support.jpg

I need to order a new Exhaust support for my -10, anyone know the part number from Vans?

-Marc

Last edited:
I called Vans this morning and spoke to a woman (name with held) in parts who asked for the part number I wanted to order. I explained that I couldn't find the part number on the plans. Then she made sure I had an online account so I could order parts without involving a human.

Then she again asked me for the part number. I reminded her that I didn't know the part number only that it's shown on the plan sheet. She admonished me that everything shown on the plans has a part number and transferred me to tech support.

I explained the parts to that person and he knew it right away. He politely informed me that there was no part number because Vans doesn't make it! I was instructed to call Vetterman as they supply the part with their exhaust system.

Left a message at Vetterman and awaiting a call back.

If anyone know of another source I'd sure appreciate it.

-Marc

Last edited:
It is just a swagged cable end and yours looks like it was not swagged properly (they typically hold many 100's of pounds of force). Look at marine outfitters for them in both swagged versions as well as swageless. Every sailboat has lots of these, called standing rigging. Given the unravelling going on it may be required to make a new cable. Making a new one will likely be faster and cheaper unless Clint will give you one, as this looks like a defect. Forces going on here are WAY less than what that is rated for. Two or three of a similar sized cable will hold a wind force strong enough to accelerate a 7 ton boat to 8 knots in a few seconds.

Last edited:
It is just a swagged cable end and yours looks like it was not swagged properly (they typically hold many 100's of pounds of force).

The swage didn't fail, the cable broke. The guy at Vans said that the part needs to be installed vertically or they fail. Mine is pretty much straight up and down, and it lasted 750 tach hours so I'm good with replacing it for now.

Every sailboat has lots of these

I'll check out West Marine, thanks!

-Marc

The swage didn't fail, the cable broke. The guy at Vans said that the part needs to be installed vertically or they fail. Mine is pretty much straight up and down, and it lasted 750 tach hours so I'm good with replacing it for now.

I'll check out West Marine, thanks!

-Marc

In addition to being vertical, take the extra time to make sure it doesn’t twist (PIA, but can be done).

In addition to being vertical, take the extra time to make sure it doesn’t twist (PIA, but can be done).

I just got off the phone with Clint and he repeated the same warning. It's possible that I twisted it when tightening. Moreover Clint mentioned that he only had 1 other cable break. OK, the new one is only $25 which is about 1/2 of what the parts cost at West Marine.

-Marc

OK, the new one is only $25 which is about 1/2 of what the parts cost at West Marine.

-Marc

Hooray Clint. It is so nice to see avaition vendors charging a fair price. Kind of sad you could buy two of them for the price of an oil filter.

Back