What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Pipe Sag, hits lower cowling

Maule

What I am trying to fix is the exhaust pipes move down during flight and end up resting on the lower cowling. In addition, one corner of the heat muff hits the lower cowling. Both exhaust pipes rest on the back of the lower cowling where they exit. It appears the Vans standard issue cross member where the verticle cable from the exhaust stacks attaches to control the verticle movement , does not have enough strength. This allows the exhaust to move down. Anyone have a fix for this?
My temporary fix is a cable attached to an upper horizontal engine mount via an adel clamp then to a turnbuckle, then to the cross member. It completely eliminates the sag but looks lie ****
I could use some ideas on how to strengthen the cross member to control the verticle movement of the exhaust stack. Thanks, Scott

I had this problem on my test runs. The fix is very simple. I took some 2 inch exhaust pipe, about 3 inches, split it for pipe saddles, welded a small crossmember between the saddles, then used hose clamps around each exhaust pipe to secure. Pipes will not move or sag. Take a little time to line up the angles of the saddles with the crossmember with the pipes. This really works well with no weight penalty.

Thanks CNEJR.
I think I understand your fix. I am trying to picture The crossmembers you welded on the saddle, are they attached to the engine mount via adel clamps on either side of the saddle?
Thank you very much for the response. Scott

I had this problem on my test runs. The fix is very simple. I took some 2 inch exhaust pipe, about 3 inches, split it for pipe saddles, welded a small crossmember between the saddles, then used hose clamps around each exhaust pipe to secure. Pipes will not move or sag. Take a little time to line up the angles of the saddles with the crossmember with the pipes. This really works well with no weight penalty.

Photos would be nice;)

Possible Fix

During the initial build I was very concerned about this as well.
I simply roughed up the bars that slide into the rubber with some rough sand paper. After I did that I have never had an issue with it. It seems to hold just fine.

No, I did not have to attach to the motor mount. Yes, the saddles are just welded to the short cross member. Fitted right the pipes can't move or sag. Use two inch hoses clamps to secure saddles & exhaust pipes.

I'm not smart enough to post pictures, sorry.

I'm not smart enough to post pictures, sorry.

Oh, yes you are.

Tis a pain in the youknowwhere, but If I can figure it out, anybody should be able to.

E-mail them to me, and I will post them-----I hope:rolleyes:

Chuck, Thank you and I understand what you did. Because you have welded the saddle it makes the cross member rigid. This is a very helpful solution, I appreciate it.

Scott Schmidt, thank you for your input as well. Mine was holding fine until I developed a small oil leak that put enough oil on the engine mount and adel clamps that they slipped. I really dont think the standard Vans cross member can hold up long term. Eventually the cross memeber needs to be made rigid such as Chuck did with his saddle or my verticle cable to the cross member. My experience with engines is it is only a matter of time before a little oil gets on the bottom end engine compartment. Scott

Back