What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust fan on oil cooler

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone has tried an exhaust fan (like radiator fan) on the exit side of the oil cooler to facilitate more air drawn thru the cooler and has had any positive effect.

Interesting idea. You could try a motorcycle radiator fan, which would be about the right diameter. Current BMW's use two of them, about 5-6" dia.

I would think that a properly ducted cooler would only benefit from a fan while taxiing. Once airborne there should be plenty of airflow through the oil cooler, or am I missing something?

Cooler Exit Location

I was wondering if anyone has tried an exhaust fan (like radiator fan) on the exit side of the oil cooler to facilitate more air drawn thru the cooler and has had any positive effect.

If the oil cooler is installed in typical fashion with the air exiting into the low pressure side of the cowling then increasing the air mass flow through the cooler will likely increase low pressure-side cowling pressure and result in decreased cylinder cooling flow.

Skylor

I would think that a properly ducted cooler would only benefit from a fan while taxiing. Once airborne there should be plenty of airflow through the oil cooler, or am I missing something?

I agree but on a through stop with extended taxi time, my oil gets hotter than I want (Young Eagle flights). It would be great to add some cooling while on the ground and switch the fan off for takeoff.

I would be concerned about the fan working properly with a high velocity air stream. I wouldn't try anywhere but the downstream side of the cooler. I suspect that if the fan is moving air faster than the free stream air it will be fine. If the opposite is the case, it would seem to be a hindrance.

I know they are available. When I put a turbo on the 911, I used an air water intercooler and got a small cooler (about the size of our oil coolers) and was able to find a fan that fit very well.

Larry

Last edited:
Back