What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exciting!

dave4754

Well Known Member
Just wanted to share a bit. I purchased a used R 22 helicopter engine some 5 to 6 years ago which was involved in a sudden stoppage of the rotor on auto rotation landing and it came with all the stuff, spark plugs, carb, starter, etc.

Over the last few years I have researched that this 0-320- B2C is a very good engine but has some drawbacks in RV use. The rear located sump often interferes with the nose wheel in RV 7A, ok but mine was an RV 7.In addition the conical mount associated with the engine incurs some additional vibration says some users

The B2C in the R22 app is derated for use only up to 2300 RPM, now i never saw that in writing so only heresay.

At any rate I thought i had bought a lemon and then along comes a great AME here in Edomonton named LAnce who was so patient in taking me through the steps needed to install mods and even going as far as to suggest the installation of a new case to allow for the Dynafocal mount as opposed to the older style Conical mount which has more vibration as some have said.

How cool is it to find someone to take the time to discuss and plan WITH you the upgrade of your engine taking into account mission profile, and budgets?

Well the good news is that the B2C will fit very well and unless some very bad news arrives from the initial inspection regarding the rotor strike will land at my doorstep painted and inspected and with 300 hrs "certified" hrs left to go for under 7K Canadian.

I write this for the archives so people buying this will have a source of info, but I really have to plug the folks at Edmonton Aero engines and Lance for helping the homebuilder through a myriad of questions to achieve a product under budget.

Homebuilding generates so many questions and it great when you find such a resource.

Just some thoughts on the use of a B2C

Congratulations!
I too bought an engine from a wrecked helicopter. In my case, the engine was an IVO-360 A1A from a Brantley B2B. I kept the conical mount, it's been fine. I had to replace the sump, accessory case and add a gear inside.
My engine is for fixed pitch propellers, the case is not drilled for the propeller control oil line.
I used VAN's baffle kit, and a Superior cold air sump. I also selected an Airflow Performance FM-150 injector kit.
While I was 'inside', I replaced the gear at the back of the crank, the one that is changed in the event of a sudden stoppage. Cheap insurance.
You can see a few pics of it on the link in my signature.

I seem to recall that the engine case can be machined to be a dynafocal style. Maybe check with Divco.

Bevan

There is nothing wrong with a conical mount.
Van's has them fabricated after you place the order, so it takes a few weeks.
That's a lot better than disassembling the engine to replace the case or have the mount ears re-machined.
Also, conical mount rubber elements are a fraction of the cost of the dynafocal biscuits and much easier to install.

Conical mount

If you need a conical mount for that RV-7, let me know. I have a new one from vans I'm not using.
Cj

Back