What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exciting times

Caveman

Well Known Member
Hi everyone... New poster here... I've got my empennage finished, (ordered at Oshkosh), and placed an order for a quickbuild 7 tip-up last Friday. I'm trying to finalize the finishing kit order. I'd like to go with an IO-360 M clone and constant speed blended airfoil prop. I'm also interested in the Sam James Cowl. Will that combo work with that cowl? Does it take a prop extension? Feedback appreciated!

:confused:

Caveman said:
Hi everyone... New poster here... I've got my empennage finished, (ordered at Oshkosh), and placed an order for a quickbuild 7 tip-up last Friday. I'm trying to finalize the finishing kit order. I'd like to go with an IO-360 M clone and constant speed blended airfoil prop. I'm also interested in the Sam James Cowl. Will that combo work with that cowl? Does it take a prop extension? Feedback appreciated!

:confused:

Blind leading the blind here since I haven't built my plane out that far yet, but... from what I understand:

I ordered an IO-360 from Superior at Oshkosh, with Performance Airmotive updraft style injection, roller lifters, etc. This is supposedly compatible with the short James cowl, which also works with a carb setup. You use the standard Vans filtered airbox, and the cowl has an intake snout below the prop. Hartzell BA prop fits with no extension. All of which I'm tentatively planning on using once I get to the finishing stage.

The QB is wonderful by the way, at least mine is.

Decisions, decisions

Thanks Lars, I understand there is a James Cowl Yahoo group. I'll do some more research and possibly post over there as well. Maybe I should have waited on the finish kit until the engine was in hand, but I'm trying to save money on shipping from Van's?

Why did you go with the updraft injection system?

Regards,
Tbone
RV-7 I0360 Superior also on order

Back