What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Excessive Mag Drop

JohnPrescott

I'm New Here
Last week I had an excessive Mag drop on my RV-10, (more than 175). First thought was that we had sat idling too long while inputting flight plan, etc and had fouled the plugs. Rev the RPM higher to break loose the fouled plug and seemed to run better, then started to take off. Engine now running rough so aborted take off and returned to shop. Plugs changed and the problem did not go away. Mechanics confused, called Vic Syracuse (baselegaviation) and he suggested plugs had been fouled, clean plugs thoroughly (sand blasted) I believe, then re-install my wire plugs. Also, suggested that I keep it more lean while on the ground until just before takeoff.
Has anyone experienced this challenge with a Lycoming I-540 260HP?

First of all, all ground ops should be done at a barely running mixture setting, get it running and lean until the RPM peaks and starts to fall again, stop there. You run the risk of leaning just a bit and then forgetting to go back to FR for takeoff. If you lean to a RPM rise and fall, you will not be able to takeoff without knowing.....it will try to quit rather than run when you advance the throttle.

Do your mag check using the leanest possible mixture, as described above, then forgetting the RPM drop as it may well be more than 200, lean mixtures or LOP mixtures will do that. What you are looking for is for all the EGT's to rise, none to fall. If one falls then that is the faulty plug.

The most diagnostic mag checks are done in order of diagnostic value;
1. High power LOP (typically at just prior to TOD)
2. High power ROP
3. Low power on the ground LOP
4. Low power ROP - almost worthless, except when bad ground leaning practises have fouled a plug, or post maintenance.

I generally do a quick one while taxiing at a very lean mixture just to prove the plugs are all clear, but it does not find faulty plugs. In fact many a plug that is faulty or becoming so will fail a high power LOP mag check, but pass the workshop plug tester. I have seen this many times.

Next is the magneto and harness.....these faults can often be found at high power and with temperature effect, and never be found on the ground. So sure, do a quick one, but do all ground ops leaned right out, and start doing a TOD mag check which is where it is most diagnotically beneficial, and you can get the bug fixed before next flight rather than discover it at the runup bay. This is the SOP from when airlines ran piston engines, and they did it for a very good reason.

My mixture lever never hits full rich ever except for the takeoff roll or during the go around. (OK..except when I prime on a cold start) Not even during the actual start.....it gets about half way up. From 1000' AGL I start leaning, and it never gets to the FR part of the quadrant again until the next takeoff or prime.

Hope that helps. :)

PS....What Walt said!
And note my investment advice below, you have possibly just spent the entire cost of an APS class on this one incident.

mags

If you have slick mags then look at the contacts. Both Aero Accessories and champion recently had recalls on their contacts.

Good Luck!
Jesse

I will have a drop of around 150 on both if I do not lean on the ground with my IO 540. The problem is forgetting to richen it up prior to takeoff. Not sure why I am aware of that.

I will have a drop of around 150 on both if I do not lean on the ground with my IO 540. The problem is forgetting to richen it up prior to takeoff. Not sure why I am aware of that.

Same on mine. I am always leaned after startup until takeoff, then from cruise until shut down.

No Pat, that is not a problem if you do it right.

Read and study my post above. It will always work.

Checklist or not, I prefer the flow pattern as taught by John Deakin, but each to his own. With a flow pattern you can learn a plane once from its POH and then sit and study where everything is, study the gotcha's and then use a flow.

In any case a last check of "Killer Items" and then my verbal mantra is as I line up on the runway........Boost pump on, mixture rich and Go!!

Develop your own mitigation strategy and stick to it.

I had this exact problem last year. In fact the engine ran so bad on takeoff on one flight that I called the tower and landed on the same runway dead stick. The solution was simple:

When I did my run up I ran the motor at 1800 and leaned it for 3 to five minutes with periodic mag checks at 1000, until I got good checks. When she went in for her 100 hour as you discovered they could not find the cause. The problem went away on its own about the same time and has never returned. My best guess was a faulty connection that got fixed at the 100 hour checkup.

Andy

Back