What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Evaluation for Whirlwind 300 Series 3 blade prop

Thinking about replacing a grease spitting MT Prop with a 300 series 3 blade propeller. Comments anyone?
Jim,

Full disclosure up front, Jim Rust at WW is a friend and fellow racer...I've worked his booth at OSH with him and his family. That being said, I've flown a few different makes and models of props on my RV, and I really love the WW I have now. I currently have a WW 330-3B-73 on my RV Super Six (Parallel Valve IO-540). That prop would be a good choice if you have a high HP 360 or 390 engine as well (215 HP or more, ball park). If you have a more stock 360, you may want to look at the WW 300-3B-72. I've had great success with my propeller, and highly recommend WW...awesome technology, and Jim is great to work with. He'll help you narrow down the right prop, and help you determine what spacer, if any, is needed. They look bada$$ too! ;)

Those prop recommendations are if you are looking at CS propellers.

IMG_3292.jpeg

Cheers,
Bob

I have a WW 300-72 on my O320 RV6. I converted it from a FP prop so haven’t compared it with other CS props on the same airframe, however I’m very happy with it. No issues so far (only 70hrs in), very smooth and light.

The big problem though is the 500hr teardown recommendation, I’ll probably hit this in under 2 years and I really don’t want to be taking the thing apart unnecessarily.

Yeah - I’ve got a little bit of experience with the three-blade Whirlwinds….I own three of them now, and two are flying. The two 300’s are doing a great job on our RV-3 and RV-8, and the -330 is sitting patiently on the floor of the hanagr waiting Rocket to be ready!

here are a couple of articles you might find useful:

Paul

I'll bet It's an MTV-12.... I know this is "recommended" by some, but it seems a bit undersized for the RV/360/540, this is typical for the -12.
Zero issues with my -9.
Yep. I spoke with MT quite a bit when I was prop shopping. The MTV-12 that is "recommended" may work fine on a stock or tired 540 but it has a maximum HP limit of 300 HP.

If you are running CAI, high compression, etc. and are near 300 HP, you will be up against the maximum design limits on almost every takeoff...and MT will give you an idea of what happens next. When I told them my engine makes nearly 300 on the dyno, they recommended the MTV-9 which has ratings up to 450 HP ( at a weight penalty of about 12 pounds). I opted for MT recommendation and have had no issues.

Back