What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

European shipping

dougweil

Well Known Member
Hi guys:

A local RV-8 builder has a potential buyer in England. If this deal goes through, the seller will be looking for a shipping company/broker or some type of agent to assist in the crating and shipping of his airplane. Certainly the airplane could be flown to another location (it is currently in Minnesota). Does anyone know of anyone familiar with this process.

Thanks

Freight Forwarder

From a process viewpoint, the buyer and seller should agree on a freight forwarder. The larger firms can handle all the paperwork, including customs pre-clearance (depending on the country), make arrangements for an ocean-certified container, arrange a truck to haul the container to the port, book the cargo on a ship, etc.

As an example, look at Ariel Maritime (www.arielmaritime.com) or GMT at http://www.gmtlog.com

These are examples of firms based in the UK; many of these forwarders have agents in the US. If your buyer is in the UK, suggest use of a UK-based firm...greatly simplifies arrangements on their end regarding customs clearance, delivery, etc.

For other options, try www.forwarders.com.

Others can/should chime in here regarding how best to package the RV since I've never shipped one...but I have shipped other vehicles and in general the battery must be disconnected (or removed-my personal recommendation since it removes one hazmat concern) and the fuel tanks purged (not just drained-can't have fumes inside the container). The RV will probably need a special cradle to fit the container and hold the wings, emp. etc. like the custom trailers used by Partain...kind of goes without saying, but pad everything-stuff rocks and rolls a lot on the ocean.

And buy replacement cost insurance...I once lost twelve containers to Davy Jones during a storm in the N. Atlantic...full of household goods...stuff is still on the bottom.

Good hunting,
Mike

One thing to consider is that getting it shipped from company located in country where it leaves is usually much cheaper than use company which is located where the goods are coming. At least if the company ain't international and have activities in both countries. You can always ask a quote from different companies -- the prices and answers will vary a lot though. Also if like Van's asks quote or you do as individual person I guess the prices may vary.

One problem is that sea container is either 20' or 40' long. So without any (removing rudder should do it in lengthwise) disassembly the sending plane will be very expensive... Wings should be removed anyway. So the buyer can rent a sea container if he gets someone to load stuff in there.

Slightly off topic, but if you do ship pack it assuming negative G.

I once shipped an LS4 (glider ) across the atlantic. The trailer was attached to the floor of the container, but the trailing edge of the wings contacted the roof of the trailer in transit. The G-meter was pegged!

The glider had travelled hunreds of miles in that trailer behind a car with no problem.

Good luck!

I can help!

Hi guys:

A local RV-8 builder has a potential buyer in England. If this deal goes through, the seller will be looking for a shipping company/broker or some type of agent to assist in the crating and shipping of his airplane. Certainly the airplane could be flown to another location (it is currently in Minnesota). Does anyone know of anyone familiar with this process.

Thanks

The company I work for has been shipping aircraft overseas for almost 20 years. We do the Export Annual & COA, disassembly, packing, containerization, ground transportation to the port and overseas shipping to the destination port. Your buyer would be responsible for unpacking/reassembly, of course. Plus, you'd have the assurance of a fellow RV builder taking good care of your friend's RV8.

2765A.jpg
09-15-2005_077.jpg

Have your friend call me with the destination port and I can provide a quote for him.

Craig Vincent
SkyView Aviation, LLC
209-830-7666
[email protected]

Last edited:
SkyView Aviation

I sold my TB-10 last month to a guy in Australia.
Dealt with the guys in Skyview aviationfor shipping.
Very easy.

Ben

Shipping contact

The guy (FBO and Mecanic) has been packing and shipping a lot of Cessna 152s over seas. Name Rob Driver (Touch and Go Aviaton) Phone 608-329-7777. I think he charges $2500 to creat it up into a container. He has built an RV7 so he would be fimiliar with what it takes to take it apart. Give him a call.

Back