What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Estimated Cost for Nose Gear and Fork Upgrade

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
Hello All,

I am a new pilot (4 months) and am considering purchasing my own airplane. I am looking at a 2003 RV-9A. The owner/builder told me he has not made the nose gear and fork upgrade called for in SB 7-11-09. Before we get to the price negotiation stage, I need an idea what it would cost to purchase a new nose fork WD-630-1 and have the leg modified by Langair Machining. Can anybody offer an estimate? Thanks.

I will be lurking around this great site. Lots to learn here...

Doug

guessing you can get by for less than $300 for parts and machine service

a year ago it was just over $150 for the fork, then add some misc discs and pins,... and seems it was on the order of $100 for the machine and shipping..

as far as the work,... will have to sort through the other posts on what you do and how it gets signed off,.. plenty to read on this site with the details of how it works

Definitely get an experienced RV builder to check out the plane you are buying - they will pick up on things most A&Ps won't.

In the middle of the upgrade

I have removed my -8A gear leg and sent it to Van's -- I elected to go with everything new, including the gear leg, fork, Matco axle (thanks to earlier reply) and all the nuts and bolts, plus the new fairing brackets. I will be at the hangar tomorrow and will see if I can add up the total for you, but am pretty sure it will be about $500.00.

Cost of upgrade

All new hardware -- $78
Fork and new fairing brackets - $222
Matco Axle - $59
New Gear Leg - $195
Match Drill - $75

A few hours making the nose fairing fit the new brackets --still need to paint new gear leg when I get it

About $629 total --

Interesting experience, so far.

Take care,
'
Ron

Back