What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Error message - no ADSB-out - GPS lost

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
While flying yesterday this message came on and stayed there the whole flight. I have a fairly standard Dynon setup with a remote transponder. Just wondering if this is the transponder failing?

Attachments

• IMG_8160.jpeg
    IMG_8160.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 34
Not sure about your set up, I use GRT, but I thought that ADSB out requires GPS so maybe you lost GPS and that caused your ADSB out to not work.

Here in the US. It’s a simple matter to call ATC and ask if they see your transponder. But I’d tend to believe the error message. No gps. Look for a disconnected data line.

I get a similar message once in a while while visiting socal. But it usually resolves itself in a few minutes without me doing anything. (G3x suite)

Consider this:
The Transponder get GPS from the navigator (typically), and the EFIS also gets GPS from navigator. Typically these GPS outputs are on separate interfaces.
So - Possibly the Transponder GPS source failed (broken wire, loose pin, something)... and the Transponder is no longer getting GPS Info, so it reports on it's interface to the EFIS that it's unable to send out ADSB due to GPS failure. All of this while the EFIS GPS signal is still getting to the screens - thus no error message or loss of navigation.
Hope this helps.

I don’t think the Dynon GPS can feed the ADSB out. Do you have a GPS navigator? Normally that would feed the ADSB. It’s likely that GPS source has failed for some reason. You can simply tap where it says SkyView below the altitude tape and switch the Dynon touch to that GPS. That will narrow things down a bit. If it’s not working that’s the problem. If it is working the signal is not getting to the ADSB.

While flying yesterday this message came on and stayed there the whole flight. I have a fairly standard Dynon setup with a remote transponder. Just wondering if this is the transponder failing?
Go to page 12-27 and 28 of the most current HDX pilots user guide. Revision O. On the bottom of the first page, it will show you how to check which transponder error you have and what you need to do to fix it.

Thank you all for your inputs. I have had time now to review my installation pictures and docs. Remember that I am in South Africa. The error message stayed on for the whole flight, but ATC was happy with my transponder output - they have confirmed it. I have the 262, Class II, Mode S transponder installed.

We do not need to have ADSB, but as I understand it, it gives enough information for FlightAware. I might be wrong. Anyway - the Dynon Skyview RS232 port 1 is the default for the transponder. This goes to Pin 5 and 6 of the transponder. My transponder sits under the RH seat panel. So it is possible that a wire has chafed or that the 25 pin D-type connector is busy loosening. I will have to undo the floor panels to check. I will report back my findings.

The error message stayed on for the whole flight, but ATC was happy with my transponder output - they have confirmed it. I have the 262, Class II, Mode S transponder installed.
Did this occur at start-up, or during the flight itself?

GPS spoofing and interference can cause all sorts of annoying errors in our GPS-dependent dynon systems.

THANK YOU for reporting back what the cause was. It's amazing how many people come to fora for answers, get a bunch of ideas, and then disappear never to report the root cause/fix (thus helping others). Good on ya!

Only a pleasure - to me it what this forum is about. You ask - you get ideas and solutions and then report back. I always try to do that. How else do we learn then?

Back