What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Erratic EGT

Jim P

Well Known Member
I?m trying to diagnose an EGT problem I encountered today. At 9500 I was doing some leaning to re-balance my injector restrictors (Aero Sport XP-360, injected, c/s), and noted that the #4 EGT became really erratic, bouncing between about a 50 degree range (equipped with GRT EIS 4000), then progressing to a wider bouncing of a couple hundred degrees. This progressed for some time and eventually was bouncing between about 400 and 800. On the ground it seemed to settle down a bit but during the time, CHT was normal with no indication of a dying cylinder and mag checks were fine on the ground (I didn?t check in-flight). The temp flux on #4 was actually very fast up and down with no engine roughness or other indications.

I?m thinking this is either a probe or ground issue with that probe, but wondered if there were other avenues to investigate. I'll try and swap the probes around to see if the issue moves as a first step.

Get connection loose

I had a similar issue and found the connectors that are about 8 inches from the prob we very slightly loose.

I disconnected it, put a little liquid solder on it, crimped gently and no more issue.

Good luck!

Loose connectors were my problem

Wild swings to 2000+ and back, even ordered new probe -- but, checked crimps and found a couple of bad ones --- recrimped and solved my problem.

Bad probe

Pulled the probe and it was pretty much toast. Need a call to GRT to get a new probe.

Just a thought

I'm sure you are concerned about the cause of the designed for the task probe being "toast".

Bob Axsom

After some searching, it appears that some of the cheaper probes can fail with 250 - 300 hrs. With CHTs stable and normal, and previous EGT on that CYL not excessive, it does look like a bad probe.

My Experience

A poor crimp did this on my plane.

I also have an issue with the CHT's alarming for drop rate when I transmit on one of my radios, so I need to sort that out.

Hans

Back