What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Erratic EGT readings

jjconstant

Well Known Member
?Problem? or ?Feature?:confused:

My #4EGT is wildly erratic on the high side after start-up, during taxi, run-up and takeoff and a little bit erratic on let-down. It is so erratic (200-500* higher than other 3EGTS and varying by hundreds ever second) that I have been comfortable that it was not the actual EGT but rather an electrical issue. After level off in cruise, all 4 egts are stable and believable.

In chasing down this problem someone asked if I had tried turning off the Alternator field. I stupidly ran the EGT harness and the bus feed lines through the same hole in the firewall. I tried the test and when I turned off the alternator field in the run-up area, not only does #4 EGT drop to much closer to the others, it goes past and shows lower by a hundred degrees rather than higher by many hundreds. When I get established in cruise and pull the field breaker, it shows a bit lower than the others.

It seems that what #4 EGT is showing is a temperature that is being affected by the charging output of the alternator--wildly higher than others when charging but minimal affect in normal cruise after charging start-up drain. When the alternator is offline it appears to show the current drain on the battery--a bit lower than others, dependant on load. So it appears to be showing current flow into and out of the battery.

When I built the electrical system I decided to put the ammeter doughnut on the line between the battery and the bus bar, rather than between the alternator and the battery. It now appears that, in a way, I have both due to the behavior of #4 EGT.

Knowing this, the question is am I comfortable not having good EGT4 reading on take-off and climb-out. None of the rentals that I've flown had intrumentation anywhere near this good...and I've kind of answered it in that I'm flying it like this...

So...do I fix the ?problem? or do I leave it and enjoy the now-understood ?undocumented feature?? :rolleyes:

Jeremy Constant
RV7A 90 hrs

IMO whats the use of having a system installed if it doesn't work properly?

You installed EGT/CHT on each cylinder so you could monitor those important parameters during all phases of flight and there should not be any "special features" that don't belong there. Bite the bullet and fix it :eek:

sounds like he is having more fun flying than doing maintenance. 90 hrs and counting. an easy fix though.

Back