What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Enlarging the leading edge light hole

Beejer

Looking to add a taxi light and convert my landing light to LED. I have the bracket constructed and installed, but now I feel like I need to make the window in the leading edge a little larger. As it’s on the leading of the wing, are there any major issues that I need to be aware of before I cut the hole larger and create a new window? Obviously I will be adding a fe more bolt attachment point for strength.

Do I need to make the window material thicker? What kind of pressures are we dealing with way out on the end of the wing? The edge of my window now is not sealed, should I be sealing the new one to deal with the added pressure? Should I be making the new window out of different material? Lexan instead of plexiglass?

And finally, should I just not worry about it and keep the old smaller window? Will it help visibility to make the window larger (of course it will a little but is it worth the effort)?

Back