What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Value question

PeteP

Well Known Member
I have access to an O320-E3D with all accessories for about $2K. It has 2800 hrs TT and 800 SMOH, but had a prop strike. The engine was inspected by a A&P and run for 5.5 hours. The crank was dye checked and no cracks were found. The oil pump AD was completed and the Lycoming SB for sudden stoppage to the accessory case gears and bolts was completed. The crankshaft flange end play was .009, the crankshaft flange dial was .002 and the crankshaft pilot dial was .0015. I do not believe the engine was torn down so I am doubious about the crank and maybe the case. It has set up for quite a while so I am going to rebuild it anyway but my question is... is this puppy worth $2k

Thanks,
Pete

Core value

Like the man said, write the check! $2K is less than half the core value, not to mention the accessories.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

If you aren't writing a check by now, tell me who and where to make mine out to. I don't even need an engine, but for $2k I'll take it and build another just for fun!

Caution Wil Robinson!

This sounds like a very dangerous engine to me.
Send me the name and contact information of the owner and I will immediately see what I can do to get this thing off the market.

Core value?

Mel, question for you. What would be wrong with buying this engine as a core, and then sending it off to a reputable shop for rebuild/overhaul?

Back