What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine swap vs. building from scratch

Duncannon

There’s the Rotax powered RV 9 prototype that’s out, and it’s my understanding Vans plans to release build plans to those who desire this engine. But it’s safe to assume it will be a long while before being able to find a fully build Rotax-powered RV on Barnstormers or Trade-a-plane, etc. So if you want a Rotax 9 in the foreseeable future, you’d need to pretty much plan on building one yourself.

One option would be to buy a partially or fully completed airframe with no engine, but you never know when those will pop up. But could it be easier to just buy a flying RV and swap the engines? The’m aware that swapping engines is a major project not to be taken lightly, especially with this new engine option (I would wait until Vans had already sold several kits), but surely it would still be far quicker and easier than just building from scratch, even with a quick-build kit?

Perhaps I could buy a 9 with a run-out engine, or an o-235 powered one for a lower price, then swap it for the 915/916. Surely this would be faster than just assembling a kit entirely.

Last edited:
I’m goign to go fly the Rotax-powered -9 this week, so will know a bit more about it after Wednesday, but I already know that a LOT of engineering has gone into it as Lockwood developed the conversion. It is not a Van’s project, and as I understand it, not something Van’s is planning on producing - but I suspect that a kit could be in the future from Lockwood.

Getting the cooling and stability right has taken a lot of effort, so rolling your own is probably not goign to be simple.

Why a Rotax?

I’m trying to understand why you would want to do a rotax in a 9??? If you want the same fuel economy just pull the throttle back and go LOP? I can do 140kts TAS on 4.6gph @ 8500ft. Rotax doesn’t like 100LL and you can burn Mogas in a low compression Lycoming. Unless you already have a rotax it’s not going to be cheaper and probably more difficult to get it to work??? I’m not trying to be a jerk just trying to understand why? I saw this at osh and said why??

Last edited:
160 turbocharged HP and continuous of 137 hp at altitude. Great idea for those of us out west.

For me, the deal breaker will probably be the $50,000 (or $66,000 cdn+) and then the plus plus plus for all the extras.

Looking forward to Pauls report.

Tim

Last edited:
160 turbocharged HP and continuous of 137 hp at altitude. Great idea for those of us out west.

For me, the deal breaker will probably be the $50,000 (or $66,000 cdn+) and then the plus plus plus for all the extras.

Looking forward to Pauls report.

Tim

I’ll even settle for the continuous 135 hp of the 915. I don’t necessarily need the extra takeoff power. :cool:

Also, the Rotax is considerably lighter than the Lycomings, so combine that with the continuous power at high altitudes, it should be quite the performer. Probably not that spectacular at low altitudes.

Back