What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine stand

rlricks

I wanted to have a convenient working height for installing the fiberglass cooling shroud so I made an engine stand out of the Rotax crate. I removed the sides of the crate from the bottom where the engine was mounted then used some of the 2x4's from the kits and simply screwed them to the sides of the crate to make a stand about 30" high. We lifted the crate bottom with the engine bolted to it and placed it on top of the sides, now with legs, and screwed the four corners of the top to the top of the legs. It made a real sturdy work table.

Here is a link to my home built engine lift.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2uqng2f.jpg

I probably could have found one to rent but I felt that if I ever have to adjust the gap for the trigger coils I would have to pull the engine and it would be nice to have the lift on hand. There is about $40 in materials. I had on hand the come-along. I have some drawings that I could post as a pdf file again if I knew how to do that.

One further comment on the Rotax crate engine stand. The engine being bolted to the bottom of the crate was a plus while doing some of the prep.

Back