What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine sag

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I clecoed the aft edge of the engine cowl to the fuselage today. I had it jacked up with hydraulic stands under the cowl to hold the cowl in place. I has the spinner, 1/8" plus above the cowl while drilling/clecoing . Thought I had things going good until I removed the jacks and the cowl rose for some reason to almost flush with the spinner. The last thing I did after clecoing the aft edge was check the spinner location and the cowl was 1/8" lower than the spinner. I then removed the jacks and it went to almost flush. Something don't make sence?
Ron

I wish I made mine flush

I set mine about 1/8" high and after 280 hrs and a lot of rolls and loops, it is still right were I set, I've had no sag at all.

Plan on 1/8"

I set mine flush with the top of the cowl expecting 1/8" of an inch sag which would center it exactly on the cowl and after 500 hours that is exactly where it is now.
27297890_wnybk-M.jpg

I set mine flush with the top of the cowl expecting 1/8" of an inch sag which would center it exactly on the cowl and after 500 hours that is exactly where it is now.
27297890_wnybk-M.jpg

Scott,

What was the spacing used for that wood disk from the face of the ring gear? I calculate 1 7/16" to have it right up against the cowling or 1 9/16 if used with 1/8" spacers. I don't have my prop yet and I'm about to fit my cowling. I have a 13" aluminum disk 1/8" thick and I calculate 1 7/16" PVC spacers to allow me to clamp the cowling right up against the disk.

Last edited:
Back