What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine run before oil change

Flying Canuck

Well Known Member
Patron
I know typical practice is a short engine run before oil change, but is this for any reason other than have the oil drain faster?

I need to do an oil and filter change today, but my plane is buried in the hangar with a partially disassembled panel (although it will still be startable). I've got time to wait for the slower drain and I could even run my oil pan heater for a while beforehand. Any good reason to go through the trouble of pulling the plane(s) out to start it?

I know typical practice is a short engine run before oil change, but is this for any reason other than have the oil drain faster?
I need to do an oil and filter change today, but my plane is buried in the hangar with a partially disassembled panel (although it will still be startable). I've got time to wait for the slower drain and I could even run my oil pan heater for a while beforehand. Any good reason to go through the trouble of pulling the plane(s) out to start it?

There is always a small amount of "stuff" that settles out of the oil over a short period. A short run will circulate this "stuff" back into the oil and allow for a more efficient drain.

If I don't run my engine before an oil change, I just plug in the preheater for a couple of hours first, again just to make the oil drain faster. I suspect that, in actuality, it makes no difference, with possible exception that the agitation from running it a bit might provide a more reflective oil analysis, which I do with every oil change.

Because it has to do with oil, I'm sure that there are a wide variety of opinions and anecdotes on the subject, and not much data.

Like Robert says, a cold drain every now and then won't hurt a thing.

I do so dislike changing oil filters. 1" ratcheting combination wrench, 1 click at a time was finally the trick.

Preheat with the oil heater worked great, faster drain than I would get with just running it.

Thanks for the coffee Tim, it was nice to meet the other 9A on the field.

I do so dislike changing oil filters. 1" ratcheting combination wrench, 1 click at a time was finally the trick.

Preheat with the oil heater worked great, faster drain than I would get with just running it.

Thanks for the coffee Tim, it was nice to meet the other 9A on the field.

Your welcome Claude and let's do it again.

Tim

Back