What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine question

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
Al the best for 2010 and may you have many RV miles this year!

Busy with all the engine installations and I am wondering what hose to connect where you see the red plastic cap in the picture below. As far as I can see I have connected everything I should, including the oil cooler. Thanks.
Engine.jpg

Last edited:
Oil Temperature sensor...

...went there on my Superior Air Parts O-360 engine. The sensor was part of the Advanced Flight Systems instrumentation package.

Sorry - not on the IO-540. You can see the brass oil temp sensor just to the right and next to the oil filter. Below the cap is a hose fitting and not a threaded hole for any type of sensor. I should have mentioned that.

Jan,
Finally one I can answer. I poster the exact same question last summer. My engine is an io-540 ordered through Van's. It's an alternative oil line location. You use one location or the other. Van's recommendations for oil lines end up having this one plugged. Some alternative builders already have plugged this before delivery.

Do a search for the thread as titled below. Thread started by tomhanaway.

I ended up with the brass threaded male fitting with AN plug. Not flying yet but looks very solid.

Lycoming IO540 unknown fitting on back of engine

Happy new year.
Tom H.

Thanks Tom, :)
So I will order one AN929 6D cap from Spruce. Seems to be a good solution.

Jan,
Finally one I can answer. I poster the exact same question last summer. My engine is an io-540 ordered through Van's. It's an alternative oil line location. You use one location or the other. Van's recommendations for oil lines end up having this one plugged. Some alternative builders already have plugged this before delivery.

Do a search for the thread as titled below. Thread started by tomhanaway.

I ended up with the brass threaded male fitting with AN plug. Not flying yet but looks very solid.

Lycoming IO540 unknown fitting on back of engine

Happy new year.
Tom H.

This is also the location for the oil bypass valve used in conjunction with the oil screen housing. Not used when the filter adapter is installed. As stated above "plug it"
Ryan

Back