What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine question

JDanno

Well Known Member
will a IO540AE2A engine work in the -10? This is one engine I don't know anything about. How about the engine mounts, weight, width, etc. Thanks!! Dan Riggs

I believe this engine is an angle valve. The angle valve is heavier, wider and develops more HP than the RV-10 was designed for (parallel valve, which stock are a max of 260 HP). I don't know if it will even bolt up to the mount but you'll certainly have challenges with the cowling and CG.

You can visually identify if it's a parallel valve engine by the look of the rocker box covers. The 540 parallel valve engine uses the same rocker covers as a 360 - check out this website which has pictures of both parallel and angle valve covers and you'll see that it will be easy to determine which you're considering.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/EngineParts/LycomingParts.html

Calling Alan Barrett at Barrett Precision Engines would give you absolute definitive info on it.

Bob

If the engine looks something like this, it will probably fit with no (or little) modifications. This is a "parallel valve" engine
engine_series_540.jpg

If it looks like this, it is NOT support and would require MAJOR modification. This is an "angle valve" engine.
engine_series_580.jpg

See the difference in valve covers?

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/engines/series/pdfs/Specialty insert.pdf

IO-540

Well that tears it! It's obviously the parallel valve version. Unfortunately that thing weighs a ton more than desirable. I'll keep looking.
Thanks guys for the advice and pix!
Dan Riggs

True..

True, however, I've got $$ for an engine and $$ for the Instrument panel. Just NOT both at the same time!:D I'm still looking for a mid-time engine.

IO-540C4B5 available

There is an IO-540C4B5 narrow-deck available from globalparts.com, has 1100 hrs since OH and is off a recently flying aircraft, $9000. I forget the TTSN, think it was in the 5500hr range, which is a bit higher than some might like but I see no problem with it. I bought the other engine off this airplane, which is a freighter Aztec getting parted out. Logs looked good from the part that I saw, only catch is it has the cylinder AD requiring 50-hr inspections. You could keep it as-is and deal with that as you will, or do a top overhaul (my choice on the one I bought).

780-458-2801- Ask for Paul, tell him Dwight sent you. He took good care of me.

C4B5 is almost identical to the D4A5 except running at lower RPM, and should be no problem to increase the RPM to the D4A5 2700 rpm level.

Dwight

May need counterweights

C4B5 is almost identical to the D4A5 except running at lower RPM, and should be no problem to increase the RPM to the D4A5 2700 rpm level.

Just a thought - Not sure about this 540 model engine but the earlier O540- A1D5 narrow deck engine needs new counterweights installed in the crankshaft to prevent harmonics at 2700 rpm. Without the changeout it is limited to 2575 rpm and make 250 hp (8.5:1 compression as are the C4B5 and D4A5 engines). If I recall, you have to split the cases to change the counter weights.

Also - In my Comanche the only time I am at redline rpm is at take off and the first 1 - 5 minutes of climb out. The rest of the time the engine is running between 2300 - 2400. With the take off capability of the RV10 - do we need the extra 10 hp that you gain by the rpm increase? Otherwise the engines make the same power at the same rpm
Now if you want more power at cruise rpm - that is going to require engine modifications (porting,higher compression, different ignition system, etc)

There is an IO-540C4B5 narrow-deck available from globalparts.com, has 1100 hrs since OH and is off a recently flying aircraft, $9000. I forget the TTSN, think it was in the 5500hr range, which is a bit higher than some might like but I see no problem with it. Dwight

Make sure you verify the size of the crankshaft on this engine before you purchase it. At 1100 hours, it won't be long before you are ready for an o'h, and if the c/s is M010 on the rods or mains, you will most likely have to replace it if there is scoring on any of the journals the next time the engine is accessed. That is the minimum service limit on a c/s so it could not be ground or maybe even polished. There aren't many used serviceable crankshafts in the field, and their dollar value has gone up tremendously in the last few years. A brand spanking new crank will cost you $12K+ :eek:

Good luck!

Counterweights

Just a thought - Not sure about this 540 model engine but the earlier O540- A1D5 narrow deck engine needs new counterweights installed in the crankshaft to prevent harmonics at 2700 rpm. Without the changeout it is limited to 2575 rpm and make 250 hp (8.5:1 compression as are the C4B5 and D4A5 engines). If I recall, you have to split the cases to change the counter weights.

Not claiming to be an expert, but according to the FAA docs I could find this variant uses the same counterweights as the D4A5. Also called Lycoming and they said the same thing. In fact, the document said the only difference between the two variants was a "hybrid cam," whatever that is.

Always good to check though. I agree about the power settings, I plan to do the same.

Dwight

I have an IO 540 C4B5 that needs a home

Hi, Looking for a C4B5 ? I happen to have one.. 719.1 hrs SMOH under 2 years ago by Signature engines. I wish I were putting it on an RV but that will have to wait. I have it for sale $19K OBO if you are interested SN L-4384-48

Engine mount

The engine will mount and works well. You have to change the mount ears to the proper configuration. The engine cowling will need some cut outs for the width. The CG falls right in line on mine. I have a 300 HP angle valve that runs and works perfectly. The only problem I had was with oil temp because the oil cooler that is supplied is too small for the engine HP. A simple mod with another cooler in series took care of that. Check out the aircraft at my website http://myrvaircraft.com The short field performance is incredible. and cruise at 11,500 165ktas at 11.9 gph.

Hadn't payed any attention to this post until today. Til today we didn't know which engine Jason, from Aerotec Engines was planning on selling us. He brought what has turned out to be our engine, less accessories .He had rebuild this engine for another potential customer, an RV-10 builder that has not made up his mind yet. He left with our order, for an IO-540 -C4B5 .Jason explained all that has been discussed in this post, to us here in my hangar this morning. Tonight I search IO-540-C4B5 and this thread comes up with all the items we discussed. Does not surprise me that what Jason told us, was spot on, as his reputation is very good, maybe too good as just this week he says he has three engines with prop strikes from down the Eastern USA to deal with before he can finish our 540 and run it in the Dyno for break in as he will do for no extra charge. Should not be a problem as we have yet to final install the canopy.
Ron

Back