What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine popping at idle.

turbo

Well Known Member
i finally found the reason for my engine popping. the gaskets which connect the intake tubes to the head were brittle and falling apart. i knew a intake leak could cause this but never thought to look here. i just happen to notice a piece of gasket missing, then another one looked damaged. with a set of new gaskets in hand the fix was quick, easy and very cheap. no more popping. the engine will usually talk to you if there is a problem. you need to talk its language. the new gaskets are a orange color, not black like the damaged ones. i hope the new ones are better. the original set had 800 hrs on them.
img0141myo.jpg

img0139aguhwg.jpg

Good catch Turbo!

Whats up with the green filter on your camera? :p Did you hit the screen and cause the "Effects" options to come up and then post pictures with the green tint like I did a few weeks ago? :rolleyes:

Good catch Turbo!

Whats up with the green filter on your camera? :p Did you hit the screen and cause the "Effects" options to come up and then post pictures with the green tint like I did a few weeks ago? :rolleyes:

Haven't you heard? We are all supposed to go green. Turbo is just using those new "green" light bulbs ;)

Bob

Intake Gaskets

i finally found the reason for my engine popping. the gaskets which connect the intake tubes to the head were brittle and falling apart. i knew a intake leak could cause this but never thought to look here. i just happen to notice a piece of gasket missing, then another one looked damaged. with a set of new gaskets in hand the fix was quick, easy and very cheap. no more popping. the engine will usually talk to you if there is a problem. you need to talk its language. the new gaskets are a orange color, not black like the damaged ones. i hope the new ones are better. the original set had 800 hrs on them.

Ed,

I replaced mine last summer for the same reason. Only had 600 Hrs on them, and they were falling apart....

Could your clamp face not be flat? ... or is is a photo artifact?

The gasket looks more compressed in the screw area than in the middle...

the fact is when you pull out these black gaskets they crumble in your hand. i dont think a flat surface will fix that.

my new ones are a light orange color. orange is better this time of year. gobble gobble.
pumpkin-12161.jpg

Last edited:
Got order info?

Might need to get a few to put of the shelf.
Part # and order info?

the fact is when you pull out these black gaskets they crumble in your hand. i dont think a flat surface will fix that.

An air leak past the "middle" of the gasket might be contributing to making it "crumble"....:)

If the clamps were over-torqued the ears at the bolt locations could get bent upwards causing the non-flat surface. It does look like that in the picture.

It's worth checking when you change gaskets.

Back