What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine movement versus mount and airframe?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I know there's a whole lotta shaking going on as the engine starts and shuts down, but shaking between where and where?

As I install various wires and leads from airframe to engine, where should I leave the most slack for this movement?

If some lead exits from the firewall and is held on the engine mount before being attached to the engine, I'm assuming that the majority of the relative motion will be between mount and engine, with less motion between firewall and motor mount?

There should be NO movement between the firewall and motor motor, unless you have a really messed up torque wrench…..

All the movement is in the rubber LORD mounts Between the engine and mount.

My general rule of thumb is any part near the engine have a minimum of 3/4” clearance. Any cables or wiring bundles have slack to allow for a full inch of motion.

I know there's a whole lotta shaking going on as the engine starts and shuts down, but shaking between where and where?

As I install various wires and leads from airframe to engine, where should I leave the most slack for this movement?

If some lead exits from the firewall and is held on the engine mount before being attached to the engine, I'm assuming that the majority of the relative motion will be between mount and engine, with less motion between firewall and motor mount?

https://youtu.be/kdBUkSkWJPQ?si=xYLOm6sQrsbtgBoB

Fast forward to the close view from the right side. Lots of stuff moved after the engine start, at low rpm, and at shutdown. I had some rubbing from the upper edge of the oil cooler, no rubbing from the baffle. So give yourself some clearance when you do your baffle too

Back