What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Mounts Studs

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi All,
I'm trying to find out what to torque the aluminum ears that attach to the motor. There are 4 studs on the motor at each location. My thoughts are to torque to the regular standards 160-190 inch pounds for 3/8" bolts. Lycoming manual is vague at best.....

Lycoming torques will ALMOST always be HIGHER than "normal". Most things on the engine are coarse thread and can bear a higher torque. So please do reference the Lycoming specs and not guess or use another reference.

Lycoming provides a Service Table of Limits (SP1776) and should be part of your engine manual or can be downloaded. To use it, look for the item you are working with in the various tables. If your item is not specifically called out, and I don't believe the mount studs are, then it falls to the Standard Torque table in the document. Find the item on the table, in this case its a nut you are installing so its in the Table 1 part (Bolts, Screws and Nuts). Reference the thread size and find the applicable torque.

If you don't have this reference, PM your email and I will send you a copy.

Service table limit

Thanks Mark,
So I downloaded the "Service Table Limit", sp1776, part 3 page 51. Table 1 bolts,screws and nuts. If I'm looking at this correctly I read 360 inch pounds. Wow that is higher than the "an" torques by a lot.. as you said.

Am I reading it correctly?

Lycoming torques will ALMOST always be HIGHER than "normal". Most things on the engine are coarse thread and can bear a higher torque. So please do reference the Lycoming specs and not guess or use another reference.

Lycoming provides a Service Table of Limits (SP1776) and should be part of your engine manual or can be downloaded. To use it, look for the item you are working with in the various tables. If your item is not specifically called out, and I don't believe the mount studs are, then it falls to the Standard Torque table in the document. Find the item on the table, in this case its a nut you are installing so its in the Table 1 part (Bolts, Screws and Nuts). Reference the thread size and find the applicable torque.

If you don't have this reference, PM your email and I will send you a copy.

For reference, the Lycoming table is here -

lycoming-torques_zpsd981c236.jpg

Back