What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mounting question

Karl.Kruger

So.... I had this brilliant plan to install my engine mount and landing gear on my 7A, mount the engine and get that all squared away at home in my garage before mounting the wings at the airport. Another builder told me that this is not possible because of the stresses put on the gear and spar and would tweak it to where the wings could not be installed. Does anyone have any info on this or know where to look? Thanks!

We followed that same advice. Still lots of stuff to do once you get to the hangar.
Phelps

Not so in my case ...

Installed the engine on the fuse and gear in my garage, trailered it the airport 18 mos later, and installed the wings there. No problem whatsoever. I think you'll find many others have done the same.

I'd venture to say that the majority of builders mount the engine and gear to the fuselage before installing the wings .... I have never heard of anyone that wasn't able to fit the wings later becasue of this. My data source is just looking at the pictures folks post.

Our RV-7A sat, on its gear with the engine mounted, in the shop for at least two years before it was moved to the hangar. There were no issues when it came time to bolt the wings on.

Karl,

I'm getting ready to finish up some firewall forward items, then put the plane on her gear and hang the engine, right here at home like you're thinking. I'd never heard this before. I wouldn't worry a bit. :)

It's nice to hear your project is coming along!

My plan is to have everything that can possibly be done in the home garage done prior to moving to the hangar. Once there, all I should have to do is mount the wings and wire and rig them. My theory is... as soon as I move to the hangar progress will slow down due to having to drive there versus walking out a door, and having right tools/parts in the wrong place, etc.

edit: By the way, I'm about there in a couple months... or three!

Last edited:
Exactly ...

From my standpoint, doing all things possible at home before you move to the hangar is spot-on correct. That was my approach, and I would do it the same the next time also. Additionally, there's a lot more tasks related to "final assembly" than first meets the eye. You'll end up with LOTS to do once you're at the hangar.

Never heard of that before! I completed everything at home and trailered it to the airport. Wings mounted perfectly and the bolts tapped right in, perfect fit.

Check the last series of photos in my Picasa album below for transport photos. All went very well.

Mounted engine and gear (-7A) a couple of years ago, and am putting wings on one at a time for final rigging, wiring, fairings, tips, etc., in the garage prior to removing each one and transporting everything to the hangar (very soon now, God willing). So far, no issues w/ the left wing at all using hardware store bolts for temporary fit.

I have kept the wooden spacers between the two carry-through pieces in the fuselage the entire time, bolted in place and bolts snugged down, as I was worried about things shifting as you are.

No problemo (fingers crossed for the right wing, coming up in a week or so).

I'd venture to say that probably 99% of RV's have the engine installed before the wings are installed.

Perhaps he was referring to running the engine, doing this before the wings are installed is a really bad idea and definately not recommended.

We trial fit wings, and put them away, but the rest of the work goes on...........

No problems.

Just dont try to fly the thing before you put the wings on. That may not work very well.:rolleyes:

good to hear you're back Karl.

Get that engine hung and keep moving forward. The wings will go in fine later.

Hey you guys, thanks for the great responses, it didn't sound quite right to me but it never hurts to throw a question out there, I will drive on with my plan!

pull to airport

I Towed the RV7A about 1.5 miles to the hangar. No issues at all other than some funny looks from passers by.

I suppose the wings bolted in place would distribute the loads around the spar feed through structure, but we had a short distance to go and we took it easy. If there are concerns, you could bolt in some spacers where the wing spars bolt in.

I concur with the others. You want to do as much as you can at home. I was flying in about a month.

Back