What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine mount/washer clearance

dick seiders

Well Known Member
I know this has been up on the thread before, and after checking my washer to rubber mount clearance at bottom end at that time did not see a problem. However that was some time ago and following an oil/filter change yesterday I noticed some smoke residue on my firewall fwd checkout. The smoke came from the 1/8 fender washer rubbing the lower engine mount tube on the right side. I looked at the left side and while no sooty residue evident there is some small contact between the washer and tube. I am in process of relieving the washers via grinding, and will have to sand and re finish the washers as well as the two engine mount tubes. Nothing really new here, but the problem has shown up at 90+ hrs, after not being obvious earlier so this notice. No problem damage at this time, but take a look if you haven't as this type of rubbing interference could cause engine mount failure eventually. Not a pleasent thought.
Dick Seiders

Has this been brought to Vans attn?

Dick - thanks for posting this. I just hung my engine last week and my left side motor mount washer looks as if it's touching the lower motor mount tube. This can't be a good thing. (The right side has about a 1/32" clearance.)

Any knowledge if Vans is aware? Seems like a simple fix of reissuing a smaller diameter engine mount washer would prevent these parts from rubbing.

Ram, I suspect Vans is aware as these types of issues have been posted in past. We'll see if Scott has anything to say about this. If your washers are touching the mount, or even very close I suggest you remove some of the offending metal. Smaller diameter washers may not sufficiently contain the rubber mount, but I don't know that for a fact.
Dick Seiders

Back