What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Mount Top Bolts too long?

TCONROY

Well Known Member
I'm sure these are fine but I figured I should ask anyway. The top two bolts that secure the engine mount to the fuselage are AN6-24. The plans say to use washers as necessary to get the castle nut aligned with the hole in the bolt. However, it seems very odd to have 3 0.62 washers behind a nut like this... Especially in such a crucial area. I looked in Van's catalog and the AN6-24 happens to be the smallest size they offer. I could easily order an AN6-23 from aircraft spruce and it would eliminate two of those washers.
Thoughts???
IMG_2504.JPG

Put one of them under the bolt head. Normally 1/8" (.125") is the max per 43-13, but... if the manufacturer authorizes "as required" then that would take precedence over 43-13. (3 washers would be .189")

It also looks to me like you may be able to use a thin washer in place of one of those thick ones.

Last edited:
That's what I did, Trevor, just like Walt said. Mine took 3 washers, too, but one of them is under the bolt head. :)

This weekend I took the bolts out and put one washer under the bolt head and then a regular and thin washer under the nut. The hole in the bolt lines up perfectly with the castle nut. Thanks guys!
IMG_2506.JPG

Back