What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine mount to fuse - engine to mount: attach order

fehdxl

Well Known Member
Consulting the brain trust for an idea I have...

Please critique this build order:
1-fit the engine mount to the fuselage
2-remove the mount
3-attach mount to engine
4-attach mount and engine to fuselage

Said another way, can you install/remove the engine from the fuselage by ways of the mount to fuselage rather than engine to mount?

BTW, I don't have any other firewall forward work accomplished yet.

Thanks!

-Jim

The mount if difficult enough to get in and it only weighs 10 lbs
Get your mount installed and leave the engine till it really needs to be hung

I don't think I would try doing it in that order because it takes quite a bit of bending and clamping to get the mount aligned to the fuselage to begin with. The holes don't line up like you would hope they would.

Also, adding the weight/shape of the engine will also change the shape of the mount and play with your holes that align it to the fuselage.

I think it's better to do it the traditional way. Mounting the engine to the mount (already on the fuselage) was no big deal. I did it by myself and it took less than 45 minutes to get it aligned and bolted on to the mount.

I think you might be adding more work and frustration to a relatively simply task.

Phil

One more thing.

Ditto above. As usual, follow the plans. However, I would hang the engine as soon as you reasonably can. If there is any squishing of the donuts, it'll be more likely to be done before you start fitting the cowl. That being said, my engine/cowl fit hasn't budged a micron since finishing the cowl. I don't know if hanging the engine several months before fitting the cowl made any difference, but couldn't hurt.

Suggested order works great

The order you posted worked very well.
I have removed and installed my engine on the
Fire wall a few times leaving the mounts attached
To the engine. Very fast and easy that way.

Stick to the plans. Don't forget to grind the paint off your mount-firewall connections to get a good ground. Put some dielectric grease under each area before installing mount. Your starter and control cables will appreciate it.

Back