What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount problem?

JILLPAT

I have a rv7a with 0320e2a and cs prop. I got a sam james cowl and my alternator and starter dont have room. I have been told that vans has a long and short engine mount for my engine and that I have the long mount and that I need a prop extention for my cs prop to make the cowling work. Can anyone shed some light for me on these issues??

Leon
N853LC
RV7A

I'll be in the same boat as you, but I don't have a definitive answer since I'm not quite there yet.

I can tell you that if you email or call SJ, they will tell you exactly what you need.

:)

Chad, talked with Van's today. Do your homework well. In my opinion the James cowl is tapered on the front a lot more than Van's and will not work without a prop extension for fixed or cs or a cs with a hub extension already built in. Talk to Van's. They gave me a lot of good info that I trust.

Leon

What about the "James Shortie"??

Chad, talked with Van's today. Do your homework well. In my opinion the James cowl is tapered on the front a lot more than Van's and will not work without a prop extension for fixed or cs or a cs with a hub extension already built in. Talk to Van's. They gave me a lot of good info that I trust.

Leon

Have you considered the "short cowl" from Will James?

It is "dimensionally consistent" with Van's standard cowl.

If you have not cut your cowl yet, give Will or Liz a call and tell 'em I sent ya.

James

The shorty is too short, already tryed. Have talked to Will and he suggested prop extension. But the extension is not approved, not recommended by Van's, and will take the airplane out of the acrobatic catagory. (according to Vans) I have already cut and fitted cowl before I started mounting alt and starter. I have the smallest of each and still no room.

Leon

I've talked to Liz at SJ about this in the past, and they told me that the only way the SJ long cowl will work (shorty is not an option with the 320 mount), is with a prop extension. I plan to put an FP prop on my airplane, at least to start, and an extension=more weight up front anyway. There are LOTS of extensions flying with no issues.

Why did Van's tell you it takes the airplane out of the aerobatic category?:confused:

They were referring to the cs extension. The fp extensions have been around for a long time and are not a problem.

Leon

Back