What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Mount Installation

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Anyone installed their engine mount prior to installing the upper fuse? I'm ready to start Section 41, upper fuse install, but I'm wondering if skipping ahead to the engine mount might be a good thing to do in order to have easier access to the engine mount weldments. Any cons to this course of action?

I haven't done it myself, but I have seen many other builder logs showing the mount in place and the upper fuse not installed. The upper fuse isn't part of the structural area where the mount is attached. It does seem like it would be easier to do early, I did my oil cooler early for the same reason.

We did...

It made a few rivets a little harder to buck but that's it.

Do as much as you can before installing the Upper Fwd Fuse. The smallest member of your household (that's old enough to help in the shop) will appreciate it. ;)

I put the mount on and put the fuselage on the gear right after joining the tailcone. I'll support the tail and remove the mount when I buck the firewall rivets. I haven't run into any problems so far.

Anyone installed their engine mount prior to installing the upper fuse? I'm ready to start Section 41, upper fuse install, but I'm wondering if skipping ahead to the engine mount might be a good thing to do in order to have easier access to the engine mount weldments. Any cons to this course of action?

I just riveted the upper fuselage assembly last week. About 6-7 months after I hung the engine. There were a couple rivets were problematic on the ribs due to the SD-20 being in the way. Which by the way is easier to hang before mounting the engine. There was one rivet at the bottom on each side of the skin that I had to use a chisel as a bucking bar.

The biggest benefit was that I could wire the panel with the upper fuselage assembly sitting upside down on the dining room table. It made building the wiring harness much easier.

Last

You can actually do the upper fuse as the very last item to install. As others have said, it makes some rivets a bit challenging, but that's about it.

If you wait that long, one other item to watch- the shape of the upper fuse changes between mounted and unmounted, which changes the fit with the instrument panel mounting holes. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Dwight

Back