What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount for both Tail and Nose wheel?

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone know if anyone has built an engine mount that will allow easy change from nose to tail wheel? The fuselage I bought is set up for tail wheel, but I would like to have the option to change in the future. I know there are several other things in making the change, but the engine mount is the big one.

A bigger issue might be the internal weldments for the mains. I am no expert, but I do see quite a few nose wheel conversion to tailwheel. Not so many the other way around. I think it is much more difficult conversion.

Installing the weldments is not a problem, in fact not hard at all. I want the option to use either gear. Converting to tail wheel from A involves removing skin for the tail wheel mount. That is a much bigger job.

The shop you want to contact is "Custon Componants" in Tacoma WA. The owner/guy I talked to is Bruce McIntire. Phone is 253-272-5554. You need to order the "float plane engine mount". It has sockets for both the nose wheel and the tail wheel gear. He told me it adds 6 pounds to the mount. I put this mount on my 7a so I can put Floats on my 7a ( I live on a lake) when finished, or convert to a 7 later. I also put the tail wheel mount in the rear of the fuselage.

Mike and Jon,
Thanks for the info. I will make contacts and see what I come up with. Right now I am studying all the other things that would go into a change. With the rear wheel hardware already installed, most of the rest of it shouldn't bee too bad. There isn't a step on now, but I will have to figure out if that will work or some other way to get in and out when the nose wheel is on.

Back