What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount dimensional differences

LarryT

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me how much farther forward the O-320 engine mount moves the engine compared to the O-360?

If one were to use a 360 with the O-320 mount, would the 360 fit in a 320 cowl widthwise?

I am trying to address the issue of weight without moving the CG rearward, which is what happens with lightweight props, starters and alternators. This is to give my 6'8" 230 lb son the occasional opportunity to fly recreational aerobatics with me without being overweight or aft of aerobatic CG.

Larry

Larry,

The 320 mount is 2" longer than the 360 mount for the 7.

I have the 320 mount for my 7, and I just bought a 360. I talked to Gus at Van's about this at length, and the engine will fit without any problems in the cowl with either the long Van's cowl or the long SJ cowl...I'll find out for sure in the months to come...

However, the biggest problem will be with the FAB. It will have to be modified or custom made to fit.

Other than that, Gus told me that the 320 mount for the 7 was designed with the expectation that most folks going with that engine would be using a CS prop. That combo is heavier than a 360 with one of the lightweight props like Catto's. Probably not by a whole lot, but it should be a bit lighter. That combo will work fine.

I fought with this for a long time, and from what I can gather in my research on this combo (320 mount, 360 engine), it will be fine, and CG will be fine.

I am wondering also?

Can someone who has an RV6 taildragger with an 0-320 / IO320 and a whirlwind or MT prop, please tell me how that works out with the weight and balance issues.

I am considering an IO320 with a forward facing sump, using the longer 320 engine mount and one of the composite constant speed propellers and would like to know how that worked out for someone who has already done this or close to this.

I do appreciate any info you are willing to share.:)

Last edited:
Back