What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount confusion...

comfortcat

Well Known Member
Friend
OK, I have an O-320 for my RV-9A project and I need the motor mounts.

Lord mounts are around $125.00 each set (you need 4 of these) but Aircraft Spruce sells:

HOMEBUILDERS CONICAL LYCOMING ENGINE MOUNT BUSHINGS
Part # 08-00662
39.50 for a set of 8

Plus washers at
Lycoming STD6190-235 thru 0-320808-03640 $8.90 (8 required)

Are these the same? Can I use the Homebuilder mounts ?

Why the big price difference? :confused:

Also, where can I find the part number for bolts and related hardware?

advTHANKSance

CC

Last edited:
Loooong time ago I bought Lord mounts. Before I brought the engine home. They were $99 apiece from SkyGeek. That's what included in every box. Very nice hardware.

lordmounts.jpg

Part # 08-00662

The key word there is "Conical" - most folks have Dynafocal mounts - they require the expensive LORD bushings. If you DO have a conical mount engine, then you're in luck, dollarwise. ;)

Otherwise, join the LORD club and pay what they cost!

OK, I have an O-320 for my RV-9A project and I need the motor mounts.

Part # 08-00662
39.50 for a set of 8

Are these the same? Can I use the Homebuilder mounts?

advTHANKSance

CC

No they are not the same. We tried using those on our O-290 with conical mounts and they didn't work. Then we saw the "Not an approved replacement for Lycoming 71032 bushings" note in fine print after taken a better look. We used the 71032 bushings for the O-320. See here http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/enginemountbushings.php?clickkey=12882

Price point? Quality.

Unless your engine core was from the 50s or 60s or it was a special engine, like my 0-320 B2C sold for a Robinson Helicoper, you would not have conical mounts. Note the C for conical mounts. They are much cheaper as you noted but they do settle and transmitt more vibration to the aircraft.

These will work fine for your 9A from Spruce...
VIP 08-00774 $88.75

Same as:
Lord # J9613-49
Barry # 94011-20

Thanks for posting. Can anyone verify the correct Lord or Barry part numbers for a Dynafocal O-320 on an RV? The ones above are good for several Cessna 172 models.

I checked the mothership website and Vans just has their own part numbers.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Can anyone verify the correct Lord or Barry part numbers for a Dynafocal O-320 on an RV? I checked the mothership website and Vans just has their own part numbers.

pretty much the same... there are options most deal with aerobatic mounts, Van's uses the large dyno. :)

David,

I feel your pain (confusion).

I have just recently worked my way through this Dyna focal mount issue.

My summary--
Lycoming makes an engine with four lugs for mounts in one of three mount styles. Vans makes several welded engine mounts for an RV9.

The aircraft manufacture gets to select the RV9 model, the engine , the prop, the exhaust system, baffle system and the ignition system .... ect....

The aircraft manufacture (That Would Be You!!!) must chose all of the above.

If you call Vans with your engine model and RV9 model, they can help you. Vans stuff is all good and will satisfy the need at a reasonable price, if your choices are in line with Vans recommendations, all is well.

If your choices are different, the decisions all revert back to the Manufacture ( That Would Be You).

Vans engine order form on their web site has an engine identification page attached. This form gives a clear description of the three Lycoming engine mounting styles. Note: Most Lycoming engines used by most RV9s is the Dyna Focal I style.

Finally I called Lord Customer Support at 1 877 275 5673 with my engine model, welded engine mount cup size and RV9 model. In about a week, they got back with their recommendation . I checked Aircraft Spruce engine mount pages (note each aircraft is different) found my mount and placed the order.

Back