What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Monitor for RV-8

Bob McAuliffe

I am considering using an EI MVP 50 as an engine monitor in my RV8 Panel to be built by Aerotronics. Originally I was going to be all steam gages. Has anyone had experience with the MVP 50? How does it compare with Vision Microsystems or Dynon (other than price)?

Also, has anyone used Aerotronics? What was your experience with them?

Bob McAuliffe said:
I am considering using an EI MVP 50 as an engine monitor in my RV8 Panel to be built by Aerotronics. Originally I was going to be all steam gages. Has anyone had experience with the MVP 50? How does it compare with Vision Microsystems or Dynon (other than price)?

Also, has anyone used Aerotronics? What was your experience with them?

Bob:

I have the MVP-50 in my RV-8. I have nothing but praise for the way the unit works, as well as the support from Electronics International. The way items can be customized and the data collected is really whiz-bang neat stuff. I don't know much about the Dynon Vision Microsystems, but I can tell you that Electronics International makes a lot of their own sensors; they do this to increase reliability.

The audio warning files can also be customized in the MVP-50. When I turn on my audio warning switch, I am greeted by Humphrey Bogart saying "So let's all straighten up and fly right."

You can't go wrong with an MVP. There is no question that E.I. (makers of the MVP-50) stuff is the highest quality that money can buy. While the others are great engine monitors, the sensors mfgr'd and provided by the MVP are top notch.....you'll also note that AFS used and uses some EI sensors with their package as well. You'll notice that products from both of these companies are more than competitors, but some of what you're paying for is hermetically sealed machined sensors that are really works of art and cost a lot more than the standard off the shelf steward warning/auto stuff that lots of others use (not saying those are bad beause they aren't - just pointing out where the additional cost comes from).

Overall, I'd listen to what Jason and Gary at Aerotronics have to say because they've forgotten more about avionics and engine monitors than most of us will ever know.....they know their stuff.

Anyway, I also know the people themselves at EI are 1st class all the way - just like Rob and the guys at AFS.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein.

Engine Monitor

Be sure to seriously consider the Dynon EMS-10 for a great instrument that takes up little panel space. The new free firmware about to be introduced includes true % power display. It is also cool how you can display miles per gallon, fuel at waypoint and other figures if you connect it to your GPS. Dynon units are very easy to set up and the service and responses from the manufacturer are second to none.

Regards,
Mel Jordan
RV-6A Tucson

Back