What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Manuf. Choices

hammer408

:rolleyes:

I just ordered my finishing kit for my 9A and starting to look at Engine Manufacturers. I'm going to install an 0-320....probably C/S, but not sure if I'm going with conventional slick mags or electronic ignition.....

There are quite a number of manufactures out there: Penn Aero, Mattituck TMX, Superior( they don't have a 320 yet), Aerosport, and not sure if I missed one, besides Lycoming and Continental: BUT I am wondering what feedback anyone may have regarding success stories or disappointments they've had with any of them or any recommendations anyone could make.

Henry
N918HB
Finishing Kit ordered.....

Tough (and fun) Choices....

Henry,

Before everyone jumps in with their favorite choices, I'll give a few general thoughts that I have come up with after reading many threads of this sort:

1) Most folks only buy one or two engnes in their homebuilding career (OK, some really addicted folks might buy a couple of more!), and therefore, have limited first-hand experience. Interestingly enough, most of it is GOOD! Not really surprising, because the good shops stay in business.

2) ANY of the good shops stay in business because they build reliable engines. If you want a good indication of how good their stuff is, ask how many engines they have built. They also stay in business becasue of their customer service, and responsiveness to problems. Listen for these stories.

3) Be careful with negative stories about shops. Most of them are here-say ("I had a friend who new a guy who was told by his uncle that..."). Most of the engine horror stories that I have heard over the years have been due to shade-tree overhauls, or really "iffy" attempts to get too much out of an engine's basic design.

4) After much research, you will find that the top shops all build tremendous engines, and all are heartily recomended by their customers - and rightly so! You will then discover that you are no closer to a choice (based on quality of engine) than you were when you started! Do not be surprised if such things as geography, shipping costs, and sales tax have more to do with your final decision than anything else.

Me? I went with a Mattituck TMX for a number of reasons, and have ben extremely happy with the engine (and the service that brought it to me) so far. You are starting an interesting journey - enjoy it!

Paul

I second Paul!

I would totally agree with Paul, I went with a Mattituck TMX and am glad I did. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the top three shops. i.e. Aerosport,Mattituck,Penn yan
All the best

Back