What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine install

jsenft

Well Known Member
I am about to install the engine in my aircraft. Over this whole build process, I have learned a few things about starting a new section of the plans. 1) Search Vansaiforce site for tips and tricks and 2) ask for advice from Vansairforce members. So, I have completed step one and this is step 2

Does anyone have advice or words of wisdom for installing the engine?

More info?

If a tail dragger, level the fuselage first. You will also need drift pins to force alignment of the engine to the mount. You can buy them at Avery or make your own out of 7/16" bolts. If you don't have at least one drift pin you can forget about mounting the engine

Oops just saw this is a rv-12. Ignore me

Last edited:
Mounting the ROTAX engine in the RV-12 is a piece of cake! I did it by myself using a borrowed cheapie HF engine hoist. All bolts slipped into place as per design. Follow the plans and you should have no problems.

As David said, follow the plans and you should have no problems. I hoisted mine up to the right height using rope and pulleys suspended from a roof beam, then rolled the fuselage up to it and installed the bolts. Took about an hour, but only because I was working alone and wasn't going to rush it.

On the two we have done, we cheated. We used kids to lift the engines and they have great attributes for such a job, (1) they are stronger than they look and, (2) they are expendable;)

Seriously, though, it isn't a hard job and three or four people can do it without a lift. Four makes it really easy. Plan out the order and it slips in really well

Bob

The engine install for me was the easiest thing I've done so far. Just take your time. Unfortunately the cowl and baffles come next!

Not very big

All of the engine hoist's I looked at borrowing seemed over engineered for such a modest sized engine like the 912. I ended up buying a chain hoist for my garage that hung from an overhead beam. Worked like a charm without any problems at all. Was overly concerned about it in hindsight.

And without a hoist

My son and I lifted the engine onto a rolling cart, shimmed it to a just-about right height with wood scraps, and rolled the engine into place....and I didn't require a hernia transplant after that...

Back