What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Heater

dditter

I'm New Here
I purchased an RV 10 in April and with winter coming on I would like to get an engine heater. I'm thinking of some kind of forced air model. I am hangared and have the O-540, 260 HP engine

I would appreciate any suggestions........Doug

I purchased an RV 10 in April and with winter coming on I would like to get an engine heater. I'm thinking of some kind of forced air model. I am hangared and have the O-540, 260 HP engine

I would appreciate any suggestions........Doug

A lot of info on this subject in the forum archives. Search using the string "preheat" and you'll find enough posts to keep you reading for awhile. :)

I use a milk house heater and fabricate some duct work to force the warm air under the cowl where the exhaust is. Then I cover the cowl with a towel or blanket, close the front intake areas off with some foam inserts, and stick a termometer in one of them to monitor the temps. I adjust it so the temps are around 70-80F. Perfect!

184-3649817-3120169

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hey Doug, welcome to the force. Good to have you here.

You might consider a system that has continuous, low heat.

Lots of options, a 100w light bulb under the engine, plugs in the cowl inlets, and a blanket on top of all will work amazingly well.

Oil pan heater pads work good too, help keep moisture from forming inside the engine too.

I am sure others will add to your options.

This works well for pre-heater

This maybe already posted as suggested, but I used (From my Buddy Casper) a 110v electric magnetic auto oil pan heater, purchased at a local auto parts store (about $50) cut the magnets off, JB Weld to the bottom of your aluminum pan and Wall La!! Wire tie the electric plug for eacy access through your oil door and use a moving pad blanket (Lowes Aircraft Store)

Kenny Gene
294TC
AWC 7-09 (456 hrs now!)

I use...

Welcome to the forum!

I live in Norway and a heater is absolutely necessary, so I bought "The Deuce" from Aerotherm.

http://aerothermheaters.com/

It's alittle pricey, but it works really well.
I've used it through last winter and have just started to use it again for this season.

I put the hose with the incoming warm air into the lower cowl beetween the exhaust pipes and put the outgoing air hose in one of the intakes as shown on their website.
That way the whole engine compartment gets warmed up. (incuding the battery)
I also close off the other intake and put a thick blanket over the upper cowl.

I have also connected the heater to a "switch" so I can call up the heater and turn it on by remote.
That way, the plane is ready to fly when I arrive at the hangar.

Hi Doug...

....it gets below freezing in Georgia as well:) and we have the Reiff system on the oil pan of our 0-360 Lyc and it'll raise the oil temps over 80* above ambient. The side benefit is that the cylinders become warm and the whole case, overnight. This means easy starting but mainly, good splash oiling of the cam and lifters. A blanket over the cowl with the ends stuffed in the air intakes keeps everything much cozier.

That said, I found that auto parts stores carry oil pan heaters for a fraction of the cost.

Regards,

re: O'reilly's

O'Reilly aeromotive:D oil pan heater. My brother put one on his 9A. With a blanket over the cowl, in 2 hrs the whole inside of the cowling is warm.
It's cheap too.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

Heater

NAPA Auto Parts has an oil pan heating pad kit at a reasonable price. I think it is listed as a tractor oil pan heater.

I finally made it out to the hanger to get a picture of my "milk house heaters". I point the outlet into the area where the exhuast pipes come out of the coweling, pout foam chunks in the air inlets and throw a blanket over the whole thing. Keep the engine a toasty 70F.

RV Heater.JPG

Not very portable for CC trips though. :(

Last edited:
Pierre,

If you lived in Darwin......that would be hot.......Brisvegas......perfect!

Actually you are right.....this is a really crappy place to live! And tell everyone would you....we have too many folk trying to move here as it is! Especially them folk from Sydney and Melbourne! :D

Standing by for abuse from the south!:eek:

Cheers!

DB :cool:

Y'know, DB...

...I would really, really love to come for a visit. I trained a guy named Mark Patterson from near Sidney into the Ag business and he flew for me for three years...a handshake deal that he honored.

Regards,

Wolverine for me

Just cus I found them on line.

I have a FF sump so I needed two small heaters to go on the "ears" of the sump.

I got 2 50W heaters, glued them on and leave them plugged in all the time. No need for a thermostat. In the hangar with cowl plugs I get an oil temp of about 30F (17C) above ambient.

So If I needed more than that I could go up to 4* 50W which in theory would give me double the temperature rise.

Frank

Back