What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Fastener Torque Values

Keith Williams

Well Known Member
Just starting engine install.

Looking for info on torque values for the Rotax fasteners. So far, the best I have been able to do is search the CD Installation Manual for each step. Is that the what we are to do? I'm looking for a table of torques for the main items - something like the page in my oil stained Lycoming overhaul manual. (Aaah for the good old days.)

If I have to dig each procedure out of those manuals I want them on paper. What is best approach to come up with printed install and maintenance manuals? My first check for sources led to downloads. I want a paper one. Maybe a copy shop print one from the CDs?

Keith Williams
Milan, IL

You will likely not find what you are looking for in one neat place. The ROTAX manual you are looking for is the "Rotax Illustrated Parts Catalog" which was document d04863 on my CD. You have to find the diagram of the particular part of the engine, and the torque values for the components are spelled out in that section.

Page 34-1 of that manual has general values for M4,5,6,8,10 bolts but again, there are some exceptions so you need to check per the paragraph above.

For a VAN's item the plans will have the torque values unless they say "check the ROTAX manual."

Torque Values

Thanks for the reply, Bill.

The Illustrated Parts Catalog does not seem to be on my CD - I am only finding the Operators, Installation and Line Maintenance Manuals.

I was able to download a PDF of it from RotaxOwner.com. Gosh, but I find this hard to use. Is a laptop in the workshop what is expected these days?

Sure hope not. Looking for the best way to get paper copies.......a call to the neighborhood office supply store yields about $.07 per page. That may be in my future.

Thanks again,

Keith W.

I agree with Keith, My engine kit is less than a month old and the CD doesn't have the parts catalog on it. I did see that the older rev. of the page in question shows a torque value of 26-30 lbs. for the 4 mounting bolts. The page in my kit directs you to the parts manual which is not on the CD.

Hutch
Pella, Iowa

Keith, you can down load the pdf file to a memory stick, then take it to Kinko's and have it published and bound. If memory serves, the operation, parts and maintenance manuals cost about $50.00. All the torque values are in the parts manual. You can also down load from the Rotax owner's website.

Last edited:
Printing Manuals

Dave, Hutch and Bill,

After a pleasant day taking pieces off the engine (prior to trimming cooling shroud) and playing around with PDFs, I see that it is feasible to look stuff up and print selected pages.

But I still want paper. So, unless I hear a better idea, I am going to have the manuals I need printed from the PDFs. The three I'm starting with (Operator, Line Maint. and Illustrated Parts) look like about 260 pages. Probably $30 at the local office supply place with a nice binder.

Guess its time to get my RV12 library started.

Thanks again for help,

Keith W.
RV6 - #756 flying since 1999.

I just checked - the Parts manual was not on my CD either and I had to download it as well. Just remembered because I downloaded other stuff as well.

easy access parts manual

I downloaded a copy of all the Rotax manuals to my iPad and stored them in iBooks. Make a great and easily searchable reference to keep in the hanger while building (lots of other manuals also on my iPad) and does not require active WiFi to use.

RV-12 - avionics ordered!
Bill T
947WT reserved

Back