What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Cooling Cover IO- 360

_watermarked_7c910446c9656daba4bd3572be78ed4a.jpg
I have seen it on a photo where a glass fibre or similar material was used instead if the rubber sleve that seals on the top cowling.
I am just trying to create an account so you can see the pic

Last edited:
Hi Agent Cooper,
This is called a plenum, and most RV'ers usually buy them from Sam James Aircraft (www.jamesaircraft.com). They help cool the cylinders more evenly. I'm beginning to believe that they don't cool more, just more evenly. Some builders opt to build their own plenum out of aluminum, fiberglass, etc.

I hope this helps!

Welcome to VAF, Graham...

...and as far as I can recall, you're the first on here from Kempton Park, my birthplace!! Swart Straat to be exact.

Best,

I used one from Sam James (painted by my dad), but just about could've made my own based on the modifications needed. It wasn't really all that bad, but one mold doesn't fit all engines.

5-12-10-005w.jpg

I used one from Sam James......................but SHOULD HAVE made my own based on the modifications needed. ...... but one mold doesn't fit all engines.

There fixed that for you. In my case anyway, mine was an old one someone had sitting on the shelf, price was good, but took a lot to fit my engine. I hacked every which way, bumped and blisters added.

I'm ok with it now.
RV-7build1042.jpg

....and then there are traditional methods........you know, build something from scratch ;)

RE:Great job !!!!!!

Hi Brian

That plenum looks great and should really do the job in cooling those cylinders and oil.....

By the way that picture on the wall in the left background ..... is that a picture taken some placed in Montana!!!!:confused:

Can't wait to hear your first flight story.

Frank @ 1L8 ... RV7A ... Flying and Tracken (MT-RTG)

There fixed that for you. In my case anyway, mine was an old one someone had sitting on the shelf, price was good, but took a lot to fit my engine. I hacked every which way, bumped and blisters added.

I'm ok with it now.
RV-7build1042.jpg

Thanks Frank. I hope it cools well, I read where some folks have had cooling issues with a James plenum set up. fingers crossed.

The beach mural in the background, complete with sand and Jimmy Buffet style Adirondack chair is just a way to dress up a huge white wall. Once I get my plane done and we clean out the extra carts and tools I'll snap some pics.

Thanks Lostpilot28 that helps alot have been to the website BUT also listen to what the other folks had to say.
Ja Pierre when I saw the name it flashed through my mind that that was and is a very Afrikaans name and surname but left it at that. Ja I still joke that we live next to Johannesburg flying club thats now Jan Smuts as I still call it.
As far as Swart street goes as an old estate agent in Kempton I have sold a number of properties in that street.
I am in the process of buying a RV7A in the States and hope to have it here by end December, because if it arrives earlier I wont go on our yearly vacation. Currently flying in a RV7 but I do not know if I am in the mood to relearn to fly a taily as my experience dates back to 1977 having last flown tailies.
Must say the team who will complete my project have also mentioned that they can build a plenum,(thanks for the name) so we will see which direction to go.
Happy and safe flying to all.
Oh and Dan your plenum also looks good, as long as it works.

Last edited:
Dan,

That plenum looks really nice and tight.

A couple of questions--

1. What is the black material on the forward segment of the plenum--if this is fiberglass it would appear that there is no flexible sleeve between the plenum and the cowl. How did you accomodate the movement of the engine relative to the cowl?

2. I have the SJ plenum on my 9a. The front of the plenum nozzle is about 2 inches from the aft edge of the inlet ring. I am using the "skin diver suit material" (per the plans) as the transition sleeve but after 100 hrs or so it appears to stretch due to the pressures in flight. I have replaced it twice. This "balooning" exposes the thin forward edge of the plenum nozzle inlet which I assume causes turbulance and reduces flow. Any suggestions on plenum inlet nozzle forward edge shaping (sharp?, rounded?, eliptical?) to avoid the turbulance issue---I could also extend this nozzle to within 1/2" or so of the inlet ring but would appreciate any thoughts on edge shaping.

3. I see that the Vans cowl have a "fairing" or a pinch down just inside the upper part of the stock cowl inlet. This aerodynamic feature, I assume, accelerates the inlet air. Why would this not be a good idea just on the inside of the round James plenum inlet???

That home made plenum looks really good -- as does all of your work.

Cheers,

db

Last edited:
Dave,
Those inlets are a personal experiment....fiberglass reinforced urethane rubber ducts. They're flexible. Jury is still out. I should start flying it later in the week.

Initial engine runs say the plenum is a little too close to the inside of the upper cowl. I think it's just bumping at startup. We'll see. The RV8 cowl is tight with a 360 or 390 angle valve. Note the very short baffle flanges above the valve covers.

I don't know what to suggest about the wet suit sleeves.

Duct walls which diverge rapidly are undesirable unless velocity is quite low.

Back