What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine controls on left side of left seat for RV-10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushwhacker

I built a Long EZ and flew for 10 yrs before selling it. Also flew a Great Lakes for several years. I am used to flying with the stick in the right hand, and throttle in the left. Is it possible to configure the PIC seat (left seat) of an RV10 the same way? Has anyone installed dual engine controls? Just starting with the empennage kit. Thanks for your help.

My Super Cub has throttle on left side and I have 600 hrs in that. I found shifting hand function in the RV-10 a non issue. Save yourself the trouble and build as per plans. I had the same concern while building.
Ron

Welcome to VAF!

Joe, welcome to VAF:D

I do not know if anyone has converted a 10 to left side throttle, but I am sure it can be done-----but the question in my mind is this; is it worthwhile to do such a conversion??

If you are determined to do this, I would start with looking at the way a RV 8 is setup, the left side throttle is standard there, you might get some ideas and maybe even use some parts from an 8??

Good to have you aboard VAF.

Hello Mike and thanks for welcoming me aboard.

Thanks for your suggestions regarding the RV 8. With the feedback I've received so far, it appears no one has done this. I would rather follow the plans, but was curious if anyone else had already done this.

I flew my Pitts for 25 years with a right hand stick and left throttle. Transitioning to my -10 was a non-issue, except for having to remain top side up.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I built a Long EZ and flew for 10 yrs before selling it. Also flew a Great Lakes for several years. I am used to flying with the stick in the right hand, and throttle in the left. Is it possible to configure the PIC seat (left seat) of an RV10 the same way? Has anyone installed dual engine controls? Just starting with the empennage kit. Thanks for your help.

I installed a left hand throttle on my RV-6 when I built it, and have really enjoyed it. I've also flown RV-6's with the center throttle. Making the switch back and forth from a proficiency perspective takes about 2 minutes.

I say put it where you want it, with the understanding that moving it from the stock location will add build time and if you ever sell the airplane, yours will be a bit of an odd duck.

I have spent my career switching between flying left or right handed in different aircraft or seats - it really hasn't been an issue. Also, if you put the engine controls on the left, I think you'll find yourself swapping hands all the time to select radios, switches etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back