What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine control cables

Ron B.

Well Known Member
While inspecting after an oil change I noticed the plastic covering protecting the control cables (throttle and mixture) was pulling back or shrinking a bit (3/8"). I don't think it's from exhaust heat because it's worst on the inside away from the exhaust system. I'm wandering if this an unsafe situation or can heatshrink be applied to protect the cables? Grounded until I get a solid responce.
Ron

Heat and Control Cables

Hi Ron,

If your cables operate smoothly and freely they are probably still okay. I had to replace the throttle cable on my -9A because heat melted the inner sleeve and caused the cable to drag. The outer plastic covering had also shrunk from the heat much like what you described.

I ordered and installed some small firesleeve on both the throttle cable and the mixture cable between the firewall and the carb to prevent the problem in the future. Do a search and you should find others who have had similar problems. I think I read that Van's supplied cables are more susceptable to this heat problem than others.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, ours are still as smooth as new. I had read the old post when they were written, but did not remember the issue with radiant heat after shut down. I would guess this is when our problem is occuring. We will have to keep a sharp eye on things and start thinking on replacement with a better quality cable and firesleeving.
Thanks Ron

Back