What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine break & SDS EFI

CJT

I have a new Lycoming 540 Thunderbolt engine with Dual SDS EFI in my RV10
Reading through the manual, I came across this statement Limit timing to 20 degrees for parallel valve engines. Adjust your RPM accordingly.
can someone throw light on the exact programming steps to achieve this?
also, after break in, what values to enter, to return to normal
Thanks

Reading through the manual, I came across this statement Limit timing to 20 degrees for parallel valve engines. Adjust your RPM accordingly.
Thanks
The SDS literature has instructions for setting up the mapping of the unit. You really should become familiar with that.

From my neighbor -

"CJ, if you want, I can fly over to Synergy and walk you through the setup on your SDS equipped RV-10. Mine is similarly equipped and I have about 80 hours of experience with SDS. Recently upgraded to EM-6. Allen knows how to get in touch with me."

From my neighbor -

"CJ, if you want, I can fly over to Synergy and walk you through the setup on your SDS equipped RV-10. Mine is similarly equipped and I have about 80 hours of experience with SDS. Recently upgraded to EM-6. Allen knows how to get in touch with me."

Thanks
With your documentation you should have a printout of the current programming. Will include values for timing as well as fuel for every RPM and MP point on the map. This is your baseline that you will return to after break in. Not sure of the context of this “20 degree” limitation but if taken at face value, it’s easy to go into to programmer and simply limit the max advance to to 20 degrees. no matter what the MAP or RPM, just enter 20 for the value in that slot. This will ensure the timing fires at 20 no matter what.

That said, I broke my engine in with the “as delivered“ programming from SDS with no issues.

With your documentation you should have a printout of the current programming. Will include values for timing as well as fuel for every RPM and MP point on the map. This is your baseline that you will return to after break in. Not sure of the context of this “20 degree” limitation but if taken at face value, it’s easy to go into to programmer and simply limit the max advance to to 20 degrees. no matter what the MAP or RPM, just enter 20 for the value in that slot. This will ensure the timing fires at 20 no matter what.

That said, I broke my engine in with the “as delivered“ programming from SDS with no issues.
Thanks, very informative and reassuring

Back