What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine and Prop combination

marvk

Just placed and order for my finishing kit from Vans. I got and e-mail back stating an IO-320 engine on a RV7A is tricky to accommodate. They said I have two options, use the O-360 mount & cowl. With a wood prop (Catto) but that this would place the empty CQ further aft. the second option is use the O-320 mt. and cowl, and change the scoop, they also recommened adding a harmonic balancer for weight up front. Just wonder what combinations are being used and what is the best way to go.

I believe the engine I have is a O-320 that has been fitted with Bendix FI and higher compression pistons. Is there a way to tell if it is a true IO-320? It is a O time rebuilt and the log book states for experimental use only. Thanks for any help.

Here's what I would do for an IO-320 install in a "7"...

Purchase the 360 cowl and mount, then order an Inertia Ring or just a heavy crush plate. The harmonic dampeners are no longer in production. Depending on your engine weight you will probably be looking more towards the heavy crush plate.

Catto has also changed design in some of his later props, make sure to check the new weights on his props.

Back