What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine accessories

DragonflyAero

Well Known Member
Anyone have any input on what starter and alternator is best for an IO-360 with horizontal induction on an RV-7 using a Sam James cowling?

Thanks!!

Long or short SJ cowl?

I have the Sky-Tec XLT starter and BNC 60 amp internally regulated alternator on my O-360 with the short SJ cowl. It all fits and they have worked well. Enough so that if I were to build again, I would use them again.

The long cowl requires a prop extension even with a constant speed prop, double the length required for a FP prop, and is not recommended for acrobatics. (Although, a number of people still do some acro with the extension.)

Anyone have any input on what starter and alternator is best for an IO-360 with horizontal induction on an RV-7 using a Sam James cowling?

"Best" is tough to pick, but there are good choices.

The B&C starter hangs lower than a Skytec NL inline. Both have a very good reputation, but the B&C doesn't leave as much room to be creative with a snorkel or airbox. The NL can also be configured internally so as to eliminate the firewall-mounted starter contactor.

The majority of new RV's seem to be getting an internally-regulated Plane Power alternator, mostly because it's dirt-simple to install. If you don't mind wiring the external regulator (or prefer one), B&C is the premium choice. If you are experimental-minded, know that a great many folks are happily flying various ND auto alternators.

Back