What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage Question

ilvtfly2

I'm New Here
Hello all. New to the forum. If I am not doing it right, please bear with me. My question is about the RV-9 empennage skins. I have seen that there are optional .020 skins. I know that the skins are .016 usually, so tell me how to go about the optional skins. is everyone doing this?...All help is appreciated. Terry.

I was not aware of any optional, thicker skins. I am using what was supplied with the kit, and I don't know why you would want to use skins that are thicker than needed. If you want a plane with higher load factors, then you should be building an RV-7. My opinion.

Hello all. New to the forum. If I am not doing it right, please bear with me. My question is about the RV-9 empennage skins. I have seen that there are optional .020 skins. I know that the skins are .016 usually, so tell me how to go about the optional skins. is everyone doing this?...All help is appreciated. Terry.

I would stick with the stock skins. I would add a small amount of proseal at the last rivet on each end of the skin stiffeners. The stiffener floats, so there is quite a bit of stress on the skin. By using adhesive around that last rivet you will spread the load to the skin much better and reduce the chance of cracks.

You really can't go wrong building the plane the way Van designed it.

Cam

If you want a plane with higher load factors, then you should be building an RV-7.

FWIW, the stock skins on the -7 rudder are 0.016 too. Obviously, some stuff has to be different to allow for higher loads on the 7s; I'm just pointing out that rudder skin thickness isn't one of the differences.

Edit: Oh yeah, and welcome to the VAF forums. You'll find lots of good info and nice people here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Guess I wasn't clear. I am all about building RV's the way Van designed. I have been seeing several threads/blogs about some sort of optional .020 skin....I have assisted with a 6, built part of a 6A, and part of an 8a. Been away for awhile and the 9 was one that I wasn't familiar with. Thought there was some "secret" inside knowledge.:) Thank you all. Terry PS> When I worked on the 6's, there weren't any holes in anything. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks. I recall that now that you mention it. I remember some cracking in the stiffeners and proseal was the fix. Terry

If I were building a -9 (again) I would add two extra nose ribs to each side of the HS but leave the skin thickness alone.

This is based on an off handed comment someone at Van's once made to me.

Back