What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage plans

SPORT65

I'm New Here
I was just given a 18 year old RV-6 empennage kit to build. I am going to build an rv-7a. I know I cant use the verticle stab, rudder, and elevator skins (talked to vans) so I am going to practice with those parts. the kit came with an inventory sheet, but no construction plans. Could somebody e-mail me a copy of theres if they still have any that old? I have the preview plans ordered, and vans said they will show me what I cant use, but they said I need the old construction plans to build from. Any info and advise welcome.

Anyone local?

If anyone lives near the Denton tx area and wouldn't
mind if I make a copy of them I would appreciate it. I'm
hoping to try and start on it this weekend. I really just
need the horizontal stabilizer I believe, I will get the
7 plans when I order those parts from vans.

What 'vintage' is your empennage kit?

I do have some old RV-6 plans but would need toget them copied or scanned.

Thanks grayhawk, I dont know the vintage, the inventory sheet was dated 1992. I was thinking the construction plans were 8 x 10 ( like the inventory sheets), so I thought it would be easy to scan and e-mail, but the preview plans are bigger, so I guess the construction plans are too (I have not seen any). that is why I was hoping to find someone nearby so I could take it to kinkos for them and not be a problem for someone else to do all that. If I cant find someone local or someone who has allready done it I'll see about buying them from vans. I'm just trying to not pay for the same plans twice (rv-6 and rv-7) if I don't have to. Infact I'll call vans tommorrow and see, it may be just as easy and as cheap to get them from them.

I would build it right and you could sell it. There are always folks looking for RV-6 emp parts to replace ones they have banged up.

Your best bet is to just buy a set from Vans. The plans sheets are 24 x 36 (or something like that). When I called Vans about my old kit, they told me it would be $100 for a full plans set to replace my vintage blue-prints. For just the emp, it can't be very much.

empennage

Sport65,
My two cents is don't waste your time on the 6 parts. Keep them all together and sell them as a group if you can. Get started on your 7 and build. Buy the Vans starter kit if you want to practice. Or better yet, take the EAA course. There are a number of reasons I say this.

The plans and parts for the 6 empennage vary considerably through the years. The preview plans may be different from the large drawings as well, depending on whether you have a balanced rudder vs non-balanced, pre-punched parts vs non pre-punched, and poured-lead vs lead weights on the empennage, etc. The fiberglass tips may not be the same either.

Also, my empennage kit was supposed to come with the V-shaped jigs to keep the assemblies straight while riveting but they were nowhere to be found. So I made them from plans. Trouble was the dimensions were slightly different depending on the version. Again, my advice is don't waste your time.

Someone who is needing 6 parts and knows what he(she) needs would much rather buy your untouched parts than something you had "practiced on", (no offense intended). You can use the cash to defray all the doodads you have to buy later from Vans.

Finally, the 7 goes together much easier and faster than the 6. Everything fits.

BTW, I will probably have a bunch of 6 parts for sale if/when I am done.

Dave A.

Thanks Dave. Vans Kind of said the same thing this last time I called ( First time they didn't make it seem like a big deal to use it). So I'll probably Just keep it for mistakes on my 7 kit.

Back