What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage fiberglass

sblair

I'm starting to attach all the fiberglass tips on the emp parts and have a question about adhesives used on the aluminum backing strips. Searching the archives gave me a little information.

I recall hearing a few builders using Shoe Goo for this. It is flexible and seems to stick well to just about anything.

Anybody else try this or hear of it? Thoughts?

I appreciate it.

Sean Blair
RV-7A
COS

Last edited:
I used 'gorilla glue' after reading about someone doing it on here...wasnt thrilled with it, as it didnt hold a couple of times, but it was sufficient for the task. Technically it just needs to hold in place until the rivets are set, which then take the job of holding it in place. I also used epoxy resin (West) which worked better. Dont forget to scuff up your alum strips with scothbrite for better adhesion.

Instead of aluminum strips, I used rivet washers from home depot. To glue them in place, I used E6000 glue which can be bought at Michael's, hobby lobby, etc. I found this method here on VAF and it worked well for me.

I don't believe E6000 is sho goo but it could be that is made by the same company. I used E6000 on a number of applications including gluing the piano hinge to the cowl and gear leg fairing and it is **** strong and still flexible. I bought it from TAP plastic.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll try E6000. I looked it up as compared to Shoe Goo. Basically the same, but thinner and easier to apply.

I'll look into the rivet washers, too.

I appreciate the help.

Sean Blair
RV-7A
COS

Back